1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Building for show

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by osgprometheus, May 4, 2012.

1. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hey guys, I hope I am not double posting here, but after checking through about 40 pages, I quit looking for this topic. lol

I have a 93 Suburban with a 7.4. I am building it for show. I don't really care about fuel mileage because I really will only drive it to the shows and back eventually. What I want to do is smooth everything out. Firewall, engine ect. I want to get rid of ac, emmisions, and all of the crap I do not need.

Here is the question. Has anyone taken the stock throttle body and intake off, and converted the engine to carburetor? Is their anything else I have to change with it? Just the ignition, intake, carb?

Thanks guys.
  2. osgprometheus

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Nobody?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your engine and trans rely on the ECM, without proper signals to and from tha ECM your engine will have phantom lights or non-working lights and wont run well, you'll need to use an aftermarket ignition system that will affect the operation of some gauges.
    If I were gonna do this swap I'd probably find an older 7.4 (pre 87) or a Marine engine, then I'd restructure the dash and wire in my own gauges and operating/warning lights. For the trans I'd swap in an older TH400.
    The other way to complete the swap is to find a stand alone transmission computer and bypass some functions on your existing ECM. Either way lots of work.
    Swapping out the throttle body and ignition system unless done right will actually cost you some performance.
    I'd look at coming up with a way to clean up the looks of the throttle body and intake system and retain it, maybe rmove the A/C and I wouldnt try to mess with the emissions, your still gonna drive it on the street and emissions standards are gonna change real soon, in the near future you wont be able to get awy with driving a vehicle that doesnt meet standards, I dont care where you live, roadside checks are on the verge of becoming a Federal standard.
  4. osgprometheus

Thanks for the info. I do not have any more gauges right now. I removed the dash and I am starting with a custom dash. I am already going to remove the ac. Where do I start looking for a stand alone compute for my trans?
  5. tbplus10

Gm actually sells one for their Crate engine program, I'm sure there are other companies out there selling the same thing but they may be a good place to start.
  6. osgprometheus

Awesome, thank you sir!:great:
  7. tbplus10

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Another option is to clean up the firewall like you said but than build an engine cover. But when you build the cover make it a useable inlet air filter cover. This way it hides the TBI and makes the engine compartment look clean. I know guys like Chip Foose and Troy Trapanier (sp) use them a lot in the cars they build. Than you can get sstoner to hydrodip them with a graphic and make it look bad as hell.
  9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Really? I hope that doesn't happen, none of my vehicles pass emission. Well my silverado might I'm not sure. But my brother was bored at the shop and ran an emissions test on a cobra we picked up to turn into our second track car and it failed. It's bone stock and he said it wasn't the cats. If the government does that I looks like the convertible will have to be redone to pass emissions, which sucks cause it sounds perfect with an offroad x
  10. tbplus10

Yea theres some initiatives in the works and state and regional checkpoints are part of the initiatives, the goal is for a higher clean air standard and their going after rural areas, small engines, possibly boats, farm equipment, and construction equipment. The present administration has decided to tighten the standards and they dont much care who gets hurt by it or how much production it stops.