1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Building up my Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by johnf91, Jun 10, 2010.

1. johnf91

johnf91 New Member

So I've got a 1999 grey Suburban 4x4 completey stock except for some Sumitomo all terrain tires. I'm looking to get a lift kit, probably in 3 or 4 inches and some bigger tires and wheels. I'll be taking this car back and forth to college (4 hour drive) but also on plenty of trails, deep snow and some mud.
    I was thinking about putting BFG all terrains on, not sure what size though I want something bigger than stock but not get any wheel rub.

Open to any suggestions or specs from you suburbans!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have Rancho lift on my 1996 Suburban and its a great kit. Had a ProComp lift on the truck first and removerd (crappy kit) and installed the Rancho kit in 1997 and no problems. Its advertised as a 4" lift, but its a 6" lift. Rancho lawyers wont let them advertise anything over 6". You can run 33" tires with no problem or 35s with a little front bumper trimming, that what I did.
  3. Mike01Suburban

Mike01Suburban New Member

Not a good idea for a daily driver especially when your driving 4 hours one way. And if you plan to take on trails your gonna break something always. Not gonna be a very dependable daily driver. Not a very smart thing to do in my opinion but its just an opinion!
  4. silveradotrailblazer

I undrstand what Mike01Suburban198Suzane is saying, but it depends on how you drive on and off road. My 1996 K1500 Suburban was lifted the first time when it was a week old and now has over 200,000 miles on it and the only time I broke anything off-road was when I replaced my 35" tire with 37" tires and the first time off-road I broke a rear axle. Any thing over a 35" tires is to much for a 1/2 ton axle on a heavy truck. I do take it easy when I'm off-roading in the Suburban more than when I'm off-road in the Silverado. As far as street/highway driving I make several trips a year from Lower Alabama to cental Florida, about 600 miles each way and use a tank of gas each way. The Suburban tank holds 45 gallons. Also with the lifted truck you can see whats going on with the traffic way ahead.
  5. johnf91

johnf91 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, @silveradotrailblazer what did you change your gears to after you lifted your suburban?
  6. silveradotrailblazer

buil

My Suburban came with 3.73, switched to 4.56s. I like em because they really help get the school bus moving.:biggrin: