1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

built a headache rack

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by reggiecab2000, Dec 7, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

another project i did over thanksgiving break, didnt completely finish, but almost...

some random welding
    IMG_4234 (480x640).jpg

got the pipe all bent up perfectly even on both sides, i know the garage is a disaster
    IMG_4239 (640x480).jpg

looked perfect to me
    IMG_4241 (640x480).jpg

i tried incorporating this but lack of a steady way to notch the pipe has delayed this for now
    IMG_4242 (640x480).jpg

worked all night on this making it perfect, then woke up the next morning to narrow the angles just a tad, and messed it all up..., had to slap myself alot, accidentally bent the left side just a little too much more than i anticipated, (couldnt unbend it, trust me i tried), but ill just live with it,
    IMG_4249 (640x480).jpg
    after welding to 2 foot 3/16" steel for mounts
    IMG_4248 (480x640).jpg

just gotta add a piece of steel to the front of the bars to hold it down, ran out of welding wire, then drill holes
    IMG_4250 (480x640).jpg
  2. reggiecab2000

well heres the finished project gentlemen and ladies, 3/8 stainless steel mounting hardware for the rack, and mounted the toolbox through the flat bar to the bed, pretty sturdy, im happy with it, i'll add a loop off to the side eventually for a tie down location and maybe add some cross support just in the bottom corners, but its done for now, and my favorite rustoleum bedliner spray never fails me :)

oh and if your wondering the purpose for me building this, its for functionality and light mounting, i hate all the sideways bars on traditional racks, can hardly see behind you

IMG_4513 (640x480).jpg

IMG_4516 (640x480).jpg

IMG_4517 (640x480).jpg

IMG_4518 (640x480).jpg

IMG_4519 (640x480).jpg
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Looks good!!! Hey hurry up your gas can tipped over!!! uhhh too late its empty now:lol:
    sometimes it amazes me when working on something like this how long it actually takes to complete it when the finished product looks simple. Even some of the square stock back racks that look easy would take a lot of time.

Good job I like it!!
  4. reggiecab2000

lol good thing there is no gas in it, yeah I am my own witness to that testament, just two simple bends for this took alot of trial and error, because when you increase the angle to narrow the stance it also raises the height of the rack and vice versa, but it does truly look so boringly simple like you say, of course even looking at the way i mounted it now, i wouldve done it differently if i could redo it for more strength and simplicity BUT you never get good at things until after you gotten experience, just like my welding is SLOWLY starting to take form :) practice practice practice, hopefully by the time i start my rear bumper ill be very skilled, thanks!
  5. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

Nice job! Projects like that are very time consuming! I mess around with stuff like that too! The projects you do, the better you get at them! Trying to do angles is a real pain! Now you can throw some cross-bracing on it, or wire mesh, or braces that go back and down, just be sure you can get the tool box open! :great: