1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

BullyDog GT Tuner

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by lquattro04, Mar 27, 2012.

1. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

I have a BullyDog Triple Dog GT tuner for my truck and I had a few questions that maybe you guys could help me out with.

There's a few options that I have but I don't know enough about them to change the settings.

Theres an option to change the timing + or - 2 degrees. I know this has something to do with the ignition possibly, from what I've looked up so far.

The second is to change my shift points for my transmission. I know this is somewhat of a vague question because it's user preference, but I was just seeing what most people would change them to and why.

Any insight is appreciated

Thanks!
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ive got the bullydog tripledog gt for my 11 silverado and It tells me I can not change the shift points. comes up unavailable. sure would be handy.
  3. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

I've never tried to change the shift points simply because I don't know enough and don't want to mess anything up. I don't see why they would give you the option to do so, but have it not work. I'll go into the settings and mess around with it and see what happens. By the way, what setting do you have the tuner set to? moderate or performance?
  4. the phantom

Im on Moderate, didnt want to pay for the higher octane gas at $4.50 a gallon. It seems that my shift points are to quick. It works great in tow/haul mode but in regular drive it seems to shift into high gear to soon causing poor mpg and down shifting constantly. Ive seen 5th gear at like 35mph and that puts it at about 1100rpms. just way to high of a gear at that speed.
  5. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

I had mine set to moderate when I first got i, but switched to performance after a few weeks. The hp gain is quite substantial in my opinion, and in the end i only pay about $10 more per tank than when running 87. Also, have you looked at the acceleration settings? You can change how fast you accelerate which changes how often you down shift. I've had mine on all three settings ( high, medium, and low) but stayed with medium. I just like being able to accelerate quickly and the lowest setting wasn't enough for me. You may want to try messing with this to improve your shift points.
  6. the phantom

Yeah Im gonna have to look into it more..when I went to the shift point settings in the unit it just came up unavailable. Im not sure why but that was one thing I wanted to try and change a little. I like the tow haul mode but it wont go into overdrive and sometimes while going down a hill and hitting the brakes it shifts down to quick. There is always the manual shift mode but Im not into doing that all the time... gonna look into it more..
  7. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

do you know anything about the timing option? I can't find enough info on the internet about it so I don't feel comfortable messing with those settings. you can change it +/- 2. Have you looked at that at all?
  8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

Be sure you have the latest version of the software on the GT Tuner. They had some issues with the 6.0/allison combination. You can do it by connecting it to your computer and downloading and running the agent updater.

With the Gasoline engines you do not have as many choices... I just run mine on the Performance and only raised the rev limiter... afraid to mess with the tranny settings. I noticed a big difference with towing my trailer... I went from 8 miles a gal to 11-12 miles a gal and towes it as if it is not back there.
  9. darnie1987

darnie1987 New Member 100 Posts

i wouldnt mess with the timing unless u have a gauge to monitor your truck, and as far as the shift points im shifting at 6200 in my truck....