Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Bump Stops on '96 Tahoe

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Conlan Rose, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

So I've been looking every where on and off for months and have yet to find new bump stops from my truck. All 4 have rotted out and now put the truck at risk of potential damage if it hits a really hard bump or reaches its max suspension travel. I have checked all over amazon, Energy Suspension, and Autoanything, but have either come up with overly expensive products that I'm not even sure will work or well nothing. Even GM doesn't have the part from what I can find. I really don't care if they are after market or factory I just want to find decent stops at a good price, less than 30 for a pair. Here are pictures of whats left of my factor ones.

2012-10-13_19-52-50_91544.JPG IMG_20130617_102633_698.jpg IMG_20130617_103421_471.jpg IMG_20130617_101533_707.jpg IMG_20130617_101537_640.jpg IMG_20130617_103737_805.jpg

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try looking at Energy Suspension and Moog, both have urethane replacements priced around $18.00 per set of 2.

3. Conlan Rose

I had checked their sites, but because they don't actually have the parts for my truck I'm not really sure what to buy and what will fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok Found possible front one but yet to find a rear one, to be honest I have no clue what the factory ones look like.

Here front one: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.9150

4. tbplus10

If it fits a 1/2 t truck it fits your Tahoe.
    Even though many suspension part numbers for tahoes are different theyre interchangable with parts for on trucks.
    Many aftermarket bumpstops arent direct replacement, they require you to.drill holes and install self tapping bolts.
    But considering the condition ob fasteners and mounting point many times before replacing bumpstops thats not always a bad thing.
    I could point yours out as a prime example of this!

5. Conlan Rose

What do you mean by this? Just wondering because I don't full understand.

6. tbplus10

Your fasteners (bolts) and the spots their bolted into, in this case with self tapping fasteners into holes in the frame, look real corroded.
    More than likely when you remove the fasteners the holes are gonna be corroded and youll probably need to drill new holes next to them to put the new fasteners in.
    I wouldnt be surprised if you have problems getting the fasteners out.
    In the past working on parts in this condition Ive either chiseled the bolts off or torched them out, the either tack the new bumpstops on with a Mig welder or drill new fastener holes.

7. Conlan Rose

Yah fasteners on this truck are not my friend.... They all are un coated with a protective material and most have rusted together. I'm wondering if I can clean up the rear bump mounts and find a way to reuse them to attach the new stop. I'm luch many parts are held on with a nut and bolt not just self tapping.

8. tbplus10

The new bumpstops will come attached to a plate that bolts where your present plate is.
    Energy Suspension uses plates that have a corrosion coating, not a perfect coating but marginally better than factory paint.
    In this case self tappers could be your friend, if they refuse to back out smack'em with a chisel then whack the rest out of the frame with a punch, get a self tapping screw one size larger and run it in.
    Do yourself a favor and clean/coat the area under and around with paint or a coating, after bolting in the new bumpstops cover their fasteners too.

9. Conlan Rose

I'm working on it. Hard to gather up both the money and down time to prep and paint the truck. I've been looking a lot in to paints that convert the rust back in to something useful. I'm lucky that most of the rust on the truck is surface. The only penetrating rust is on the fuel shield that has really great paint that obviously never protected the metal, but the new shield is only 95.99 which is fairly cheap for a part of its size.

Do you have any paint recommendations? If you do, can you PM them to me so not to detract the thread to much.

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What year range should be good for that Tahoe?