1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bumper Question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pensacola_Cane850, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Pensacola_Cane850

Pensacola_Cane850 New Member

So way back in December I rearended a Integra. My front bumper was the only thing damanged (thank God). So instead of paying my $500 insurance deductable I thought I would do it my self and save some money. How hard is it to replace the front bumper and brackets? Do I have to take off the grill and every thing?
  2. Prophet1990

Prophet1990 Rockstar 100 Posts

hey

hey someone hit the side of my bumper (never found the person) and im just gonna get a bumper from a junk yard and do it my self but from what my father said its not easy cause you have to bust the bolts lose as well as find the air bag sensors other then that I do not believe you have to take the grill off but im stull unsure of what the steps are in order to do this project, ill look around as well and hopefully find them, also btw i know that if you want to take off the front tow hooks and either keep them out of replace with other ones the bumper needs to come off.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Be very careful around the airbag sensors, even with a disconected battery those things have been known to go off.
    The bumper should be able to come off without removing the grill, the bracket bolts might be a little hard to bust loose so make sure you've got a cheater bar on hand.
  4. Pensacola_Cane850

Wow... I didnt even think about the airbags so Im guessing I should prolly invest in a Chilton manuel to find where exactly these things are. Also my Dad bought me a 106 pc socket set will that work or do I need to rent a air compressor and some air wrenches? Thanks for the info
  5. Prophet1990

hey

Pen I htink we are about the same age haha! anyways umm all you need is the correct size socket and then i suggest a 2 foot or well 3 foot breaker bar and extension for the socket, an impact wrench might me a bit awkward to fit in there (i have still yet to replace my bumper btw)
  6. tbplus10

Chiltons at the very least get a good look up behind the bumper and familiarize yourself with everything back there.
    I dont think you'll need an impact gun or air wrench and like posted I dont think you'll have room to get them in there, a good sturdy wratchet (preferably one with a no questions asked warranty) and a couple feet of pipe to fit over the end of the wratchet handle for a little added leverage will usually do the trick, pull hard but use caution so if/when something breaks loose you dont hurt yourself or hit something important.
    The best start to a good toolset is a complete set of sockets.
  7. Prophet1990

i agree

I agree with tim :) keep me posted Pen (add me as a friend if youd like) maybe take some pictues durting the job so i can see what to expect! thanks a million
  8. Pensacola_Cane850

Sounds good thanks for all the info yall! Ive been lookin at my baby for too long with that shiner on her face and its gettin real nice now so its time to get it fixed. Oh one more thing does any one kno when you go to a junk yark to buy a bumper does it come with everything (top/bottom plasics, brackets) or just the chrome bumper?

Prophet Im 23 so we might be the same age but ill shoot ya request and keep you updated with the project
  9. tbplus10

Theres no standard of what a yard will include on an item, if they dont include the plastics and brackets you probably gotta bargain with them, the best way is if you dont think the price is right tell'em no thanks XYZ yard will sell me the whole thing for $XX amount.
  10. Pensacola_Cane850

lol yea thats why I was thinkin, cause I called Kikers U-Pull here in Pensacola and the man quoted me at $150 which is pretty good cause Gieco is giving me $151 and some change for what they would have to pay if I had their shop do it