1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'Burban gurgles - that's normal, right?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Springthing, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Mostly when I shut it off and everything is quiet. The gurgling happens behind the passenger glove box/dash. I figure it's normal gurgling but have never heard it that loud on a vehicle before. It does it while driving as well but I either don't notice it as much or it's not as pronounced.

All normal?

Thanks,
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I wouldn't assume all normal. Probably the first thing I'd check would be coolant level. That sound is often "air" being pumped through the heater core because the cooling system is low. This can be bad news, especially if you still have Dexcool in your system.
  3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

yeah I don't know that that is normal. I never had it happen on either of my suburbans or my truck.
  4. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

My 99 doesn't do it, but my dad's 94 does. Never had any issues with it.
  5. Springthing

Well, sounds like it merits a looksee at least.

Thanks to all!
  6. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

Found this on the internet -

"Unless the engine is overheating, you have air trapped in the system. Park the car on an incline or jack up the front as far as possible. When engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, set heater controls to hot, and start the engine. Make sure the radiator is full and watch for air escaping. Keep the coolant level full and when you see not more air bubbles escaping, you are done. Replace the radiator cap, and see if the sound goes away. If not, take it to a professional."
  7. Springthing

Thanks! :great:
  8. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

i agree--not normal. and you do have air in the system. check the level, the raditor cap is mostly to blame for this. the seal goes and it allows water to the over floe but when cooling air seaps in the cap (if the over flow is full....mike
  9. Springthing

Well, looked it over and found that, indeed, the coolant was low - practically empty in the bottle.

The radiator still flows well - took the cap off and, as stated, started the truck up with the cap off, heater on. I could see the coolant flowing in a nice steady stream.

Manual states "dex-cool"... or something like that.

Although it's probably been mentioned before - what is the general opinion on the pre-diluted 50/50 stuff?

Thanks for all the help. My membership fee to GMTC is really paying off. Best $150.00 I've spent this year...
  10. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

if the price is right then no issues. my thought is "I can add the water and get a full bottle that i paid for. mike