Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Burned Out Running Lights

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rtc830, Jul 25, 2011.

1. rtc830

rtc830 New Member

Is it just me or does about one of every 4 Chevy/GMC trucks, vans and SUVs, a few years old, have a front running light burned out?
    I have a '05 2500 HD Silverado. Had it 18 months and have already replaced numerous bulbs. Is this common? Thanks.

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yes, it's very common for the running lights to go bad frequently in that generation of trucks. If you look at the socket for the bulb, it's probably burned/ scorched in some places. There's really no fix for it (that I know of) except for pulling the DRL fuse to turn off the running lights completely.

3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use PIAA 3157 bulbs for my DRL's and my back up lights, they last much longer.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yep pretty common. Always see them going down the road. I've had to replace a couple on mine so far.

5. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Yea, I think it is you. lol I have some bulbs in the front that I have never changed and it is 13 years old.

6. rtc830

rtc830 New Member

Thanks for info.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Will try that. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Guess I will just keep changing as needed. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Beg to differ but I see them everyday. Guess you must have got a good 'un without the issue.

7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome!.....

8. rtc830

rtc830 New Member

Thanks for input. Guess I will just watch them and replace as needed (and will try the PIAA bulbs).

9. Chevy2011

Chevy2011 New Member

Yes, on my previous pickup (2003 silverado) I had to replace them prob 3 times in 2 years

10. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 3157 bulbs can't handle the voltage. Switch the bulbs to 4157's and you should have no problem.
    If your sockets are burned out or scorched, you can get new sockets from a dealer, or possibly a parts store.