Burning of the Oil

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 22inSilverado, Jun 23, 2009.

1. 22inSilverado

22inSilverado New Member

I figured out that my truck is burning oil its not leaking it anywhere. I just replaced the O2 sensors because they were bad that had no effect at all which i didn't think it would anyways. I am looking for some help to diagnose the problem could it be the rings our shot on the pistons? So if anyone has any thoughts or input let me know thanks.

2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The most common problem would be the rings. One other possibility I can think of is valve seals or even cylinder bore.. Do you see blue smoke out the exhaust? How much oil are we talking over lets say 3000 miles?

3. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

A compression test would be the most helpful thing to help determine what's wrong.

4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes a compression test would be a good idea. What oil and viscosity are you currently using?

5. Z71pilot

Z71pilot New Member

A cylinder leak test will tell you if the rings are causing the problem. How soon after the oil change does it start using oil. what kind of oil are you using. Dino or Synthetic. how often do you change oil.

6. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

you could also have another blow-by problem like the pcv not functioning properly and its sucking the oil into the intake

7. ProFuel

ProFuel New Member

Hello, I have a 01 2500HD with 8.1 it will drink a quart of oil every 3-4k, I run full systhetic change oil and filter every 3k checked for leaks, smoke, Had shops do the same Nothing been like this for years, No codes fly, all new everything on truck.

I had a 89 454 in a 1 ton, did the same out of show room.

It's probably being burnt very slowly. ?????????

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Big blocks are famous for burning oil. I think you're doing well at a quart per oil change.

How do you like the 8.1? That's my next truck. Hopefully.