A shop put a new starter on my 1990 1500 4X4 stepside and the hot battery cable going to the starter selonoid was leaning up against my exhaust manifold...My wife and i could smelled a light odor of burning but i thought it was just my brakes...as i drive for about 5 mins. i got on rt70..and could not go over 55mph....if i gave it gas the tranny would downshift and not pick up any speed at all...As I headed to my friends house who is a mechanic the trk made a loud backfire and stalled out......Luckily i was next to a gas station and only 3mins. from my friend place... He and another mechanic told me to try to start it and than told me to stop..I was told all kind of sparks were coming from down below near the starter...He used a strap on his Tahoe and pulled me into his garage ..Got it on the lift and the first thing they saw was my main battery hot wire going to the starter was burnt and the sparks were coming from there also it fried the starter selonid..Well, the next day the shop who put the starter in towed my truck some 45 miles and called me 2 days later last Friday and said they put a new starter on and it won't start....They said they did an ignition check and said the ignition module was bad...NOW, according to them the burning battery cable had nothing to do with the ignition module going bad...It just seems to me that everything was just fine until the starter was put in.......... could the cable short cause excessive heat or volts to the coil or ignition module??? I was told by voice mail Friday that my bill is $338.40 and they did me a favor and got the starter free under warranty...........But still charged me for the labor.......Now, i have to pay for a PAPA ignition coil $40.00 plus labor etc, etc, etc. Anyone who might know if the burnt battery cable could have caused this.....If not, I will just pay it...but i don't want to be taken advantage of...If u know what i mean....PS: did a search but could not find anything..thanks GREG O.