1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying 02 Avalanche - Help! Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by mosimann, Jul 22, 2010.

1. mosimann

mosimann New Member

Hi guys.

I'm considering buying this truck, something that I always wanted and now I really need. I have an audio & video company and we have some clients on a 4wd area. A couple times a year I need to haul something that doesn't fit inside the company's van. The Avalanche is the perfect choice.

I have a customer with a 02 Z71, first owner, 104k miles. Beautiful inside (just very dirty!), body outside looks very nice too. No dings or dents, just a few light scratches that should come off with my Porter Cable and a few hours of dedication.

Just a few glitches:

1) AC is dead. My customer said that would take care of it.

2) Driver's outside mirror is burned (???). Maybe the heater went crazy and burned it?

3) Switch for the rear left windows is dead on the driver's side. On the back it works.

4) Left side of the rear bumper is loose and it's missing a plastic piece.

5) All 4 rims look like the ones in the picture.

6) Cladding is faded.

So far, doesn't seem too bad. My customer said something around $7800 with the AC fixed and four brand new tires.

However... there's a lot of rust on the truck!!! They used to take the vehicle to the beach and probably didn't worry too much about rinsing the sand off.

I really dream about a Escalade EXT and I found a 2004 with 130k for $13,000. Seems to be on a nice shape and most important, no rust.

I'll probably drive less than 500 miles per month.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Other than the rust, everything appears minor.

-The cladding on the '02s were lighter then the following years... A good shot of Refinish Retorer, or GatorBack will give you a nice dark appearance.

- The mirror should be easy to find on ebay or a salvage yard.

- The window switch could be bad or maybe just dirty. Take it out and clean the plug and the window switch with some electronics cleaner. If that doesn't work, then you'll need a new master panel. Again, ebay of a local salvage yard.

- My '03s rear bumper is a little loos aswell, it might be a regular thing. As for the diamond plate plastic piece, there is a seller on ebay that makes replacements out of real diamond plate...

- As for the rims, you can keep the stock ones for winter wheels and tires and buy new ones for the summer, or you can get some duplicolor sheel paint and re coat them. Just sand off the clear coat ans sand it smooth and paint'em.

Hope I could help...
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2, and as for the fadded cladding you can use black to black. And the rust depending on what you consider rusty. I live here in MN and have seen a few Chevies of the vintage that you are looking at that have cracked frames, just be sure that you look at it as close as possible.
  4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

I wouldn't buy it. All the rust thats visible plus those fishing rod holders tell me it sat by the ocean and got sprayed with salt water a lot. There's probably a lot more rust under all the cladding. Same thing with the wheels, salt causes that too. It gets in behind any break in the clear coat and corrodes the aluminum.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I had a 02 before my 08. With all that rust I would not touch it..As said above behind that cladding could be nothing but rust..You can find a Av in better cond foe around $3000-$5000 on Craigs list or Ebay..
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

With all that rust you couldn't give me that truck. All that salt air gets into everything. I grew up in Florida near the beaches and the salt air destroys everything, even the internal wiring. The salt air is differant than the salt roads up north. Like I said it gets into everything.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well news to me as well.. Interesting to know. So i change my thoughts and say dont go for it if it causes that much more.. And obviously it wasnt washed, so what else wasnt taken care of??
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Murdog94, just to add about the salt air near the Florida beaches, it eats the window frames, door knobs and mailbox's on houses. Any thing metal. On cars and trucks even if you wash the truck it still gets inside the body panels. I know a family that has lived on the beach forever and when they buy a car ever 4-5 years they do nothing to the car, no oil changes, washing & wax NOTHING because the car is so rusted that its not worth anything. People and Dealers on the coast know about beach cars so they don't buy them or take them in trade.
  9. SliverZ71

SliverZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a 2002 Chevy Avalanche I got mine in 7/2001 and from the looks of that one I would not touch it. Mine still looked new when I sold it 6 months ago this guy didn’t take care of his at all if it looks like that I am sure oil changes and general maintenance were the farthest thing on him mind. I sold mine for $12.000.00 with 30,000 miles on it and the only thing it needed were tires. The cladding was recoated with gator back and looked new. No dings scratches damage of any kind you can do better.:lol:Steve
  10. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

That rust will only get worse. Fall out of love with it. It's his problem now, keep it that way.