1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying a 2013 6.2

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mrbrown88, Nov 14, 2013.

1. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 Member

Well, I am thinking about buying a 2013 CC Silverado Z71 with the 6.2. I have the 5.3 right now and am pissed off that it is burning a quart and a half of oil every oil change and GM says it is "normal" so I want to get right of it before I have real problems.

The 2013 appears to have been a demo vehicle and has 7,000 miles, but is still considered "new". I know I shouldn't pay full sticker or full rebated sticker, but what would be a fair amount to subtract from the deal for the miles. They said that the warranty will start when I take delivery so basically until 43,000 miles. What do you you all think?

Also does the 6.2 have any major issues like the 5.3 does? I assume not since there is no AFM but any info is helpful!

Thanks!
  2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

fair price would be based on condition grade, standard and optional features. and to your advantage, maybe it was actually made and sold in 2012, which is to your advantage in discussing price. did you run it thru kelly or edmunds to get an idea of book value yet.
  3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

The last time I dealt with anything being purchased that was a "demo".. it was an LTZ Avalanche back in 2009 that my Ex's mother wanted. We were shopping around for her, as she wasn't dead set on buying a chevrolet... so naturally, I suggested that we "test drive" the avalanche onto all of the other car lots and use the dealership's gas haha.

At the end of the day when we brought the avalanche back, I used every single little detail that was wrong with it (was secretly giving the truck a thorough inspection the whole test drive) to my advantage in haggling the price. I would urge you to do the same, as the truck is obviously not as "brand new" as they like to pretend they are (I hate dealerships). After all was said and done, the sticker price of the Avalanche being around $45K (if i remember correctly) and we drove it off the lot with ~5k miles and a $31k price tag.

You need to stress to the dealer that the truck is not "new" simply because it has never been registered to an individual. Demo vehicles get just as much and sometimes alot more abuse and wear n tear than it would if it were owned by someone. Therefore making the truck EVERY BIT as used as a truck that was bought new from a dealer, and then traded in with 1000 miles on it. Don't let them BS you into paying anything more than $10k less than the sticker price.
    :sign0011:
  4. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 Member

The thing is they are running about $7,000 in rebates and plus I get GMS pricing which is another $5,000 or so off the sticker of almost $51,000. I think there should still be more taken off for the miles, but the question is what is a fair amount? Again, all help is appreciated!
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

How many miles on your 2011? You might have the Issue that a lot of us had with the Oil Consumption
  6. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 Member

I have 31,000 miles on my '11. Everybody keeps telling me that it's not that big of deal, but I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have these problems. I don't want to continue to have problems or have bigger problems out of my pocket once the warranty is up you know?
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You should have a 100K warr A few of us had this problem and got it fixed at the dealers Mine was at 90K I now have 107K
  8. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Though it is unlikely your "problem" with the 5.3 will get much worse, if it does, you have a warranty, and a well-documented issue for leverage for full repair. I mention this because I think you are going to get totally hosed on the sale or trade of your '11. With that in mind...if you move ahead, you need to negotiate like a con man on this deal to prevent getting taken to the cleaners. Find out what wholesale is on the '13 (use kbb.com), and start there. You have to have the mindset that you DO NOT need that '13, and can easily walk away from a deal that does not suit you. And, remember...you can ALWAYS come up in your price to counter their offer, but you can NEVER go lower.
  9. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I doubt very much that the warranty expires at 43K. From 36 to 43 its the dealers warranty. Better get it in writing. The DEMO drivers/owners don't give a rats a-- how they treat the truck, so check the tires, they probably have more worn off then normal. It's considered new because it has not been titled but it is still a used truck. They need you more than you need them.
  10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

A lot of good advise here on this purchase and trade deal, along with the extended warranty.

anytime you trade a vehicle in for a new vehicle with only 3 years on the trade in , and the low miles you will take a big loss.. the dealership loves these type trades.

the 2013 is a year old now , I think that 10K off sticker and the warranty extended in writing would be a good start. They will go for your trade at a low ball offer. this you can count on.

I would also have them replace all the drive train fluids as part of the deal.