Buying a 96 suburban with 300,000 miles

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Burban96, May 19, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. Burban96

Burban96 New Member

Hi, this is my first post on here!

I'm looking to buy another suburban. I found one that's really good condition and seems like a good deal ($1,500). The only problem is it has a lot of miles on it. Around 302,156. I've been told these are mostly highway miles.

Here's a list of parts that have been replaced lately:

Rebuilt 4L60 Trans. ( 2-12-10 )
    Tires replaced (03-22-10)
    Fuel pump replaced ( 8-28-10 )
    Alternator and battery ( 8-30-10)
    Needs a front end alignment, and has an exhaust leak (which needs a doughnut gasket).

Should I buy it or is this a bad idea? Can it live a lot longer or will I have to replace the motor soon? It has the original motor in it. It also has a tv with a vcr (I'd replace the VCR though) and a 12 disc changer in the back.

Here's a picture of it:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For $1,500.00 even if you have to put a long block in it thats a good price. You can get GM remans with warranty's.
  3. Burban96

Burban96 New Member

And how much would those go for for? For some reason I can't see my original post. Weird.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can buy a NEW- not remanu- GM Goodwrench 5.7 for $2300 delivered to your curb.
    That is a GREAT PRICE-and one of the main reason to buy a older GM truck is you can get new OEM parts for great prices.
    My 1998 Suburban had 195,000 miles on it when I bought it 4 years ago.It has 216,200 miles now- runs great.

Now at 300,000 miles it is long overdue for a rebuilt trans- actually due for second rebuild ptobably,Most places that is $2000 for a trans rebuild.
    Charlie
    PS Lots of things other than motors/trans can also fail-
    water pump radiator brake booster shocks intake gaskets belt tensioners - TIMING SET I replaced all those- $1000 DIY would have been maybe $3000 from a shop
  5. Burban96

Burban96 New Member

I replaced the brake booster about 2 months ago on my 96 suburban. It wasn't too bad. It was just hard taking off the clip by the firewall.

Thanks for the comments. Anyone know what kind of rims those are in the picture? I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them on there or not.
  6. Burban96

Burban96 New Member

I checked it out Saturday. I didn't end up getting it. Too many things were wrong with it.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Kinda glad, up here in MN $1500 gets you alot more burban with alot less miles... However im not in TX so i guess im not that great with the used car market..
    Eitherway welcome aboard!!!!
  8. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club.
  9. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!
  10. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!