Buying a Xukon XL

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by FinnishTruck, Nov 25, 2012.

1. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

Hello!

I am from Finland so first i apologize for my bad english.

Here in Finland it is really hard to buy or have an american car because our crazy tax policy and really high fuel prize.
    For example:
    last summer i bought a 1996 chevy suburban 6,5 td 2500 4wd. it was driven 180 miles. I paid 7000 euros which is like 9000 dollars. it was really cheap, many of the 90's suburbans cost 10k euros here.

at the moment gasoline costs something like 6,40 dollars per gallon. Diesel just a little less.

despite our crazy prizes, i loved that chevy.
    i don't know what went into me, but i sold the car and it was a mistake.

now i am looking for another one and i can't get much info from finnish discussion forums so i turn to you folks.

I am buying a GMC Yukon XL 2500 HD. It was made 2005, has the 6,0 engine.
    It really looks good and everything seems to work properly. even the prize is good because i am buying it from sweden.
    The only problem is that it has been driven 190 000 miles.
    so i ask you, is 190k miles a problem for a yukon xl?
    transfer case was fixed couple of years ago.

are 2005 suburbans and yukon xl's galvanized or rust protected in some other ways at the factory?

2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Well with the 6.0L in it that would cost you more money at the pumps, The miles should be good. If youd be ok with paying a lil more at the pumps id say go for it. With a 6.0 it gives you more horsepower cuz you have more cubic inches, also it is a 383 unlike what i got in my 94 yukon, a 5.7L 350. I know id go for it. Also glad to have an international member on the site. So welcome to the club.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The Metal should all be galvanized on the doors, hood and rear. Is there a reason you need a 6.0? Are you towing? A 5.3 should get a little better MPG's and still have enough power to tow a few thousand pounds..

4. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

thank you sir!

when i googled 2005 Yukon XL, i found many complaints that the transmission breaks really often or something like that...
    is it true?

what is the transmission's name? is it the same 4l80 that i had in my old suburban?

what kind of mileage i should expect?

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Coming from Sweden, is it a US truck (made to be used in the US), or built as an export? If it's an export, the speedometer should read in kilometers and the 190,000 may be kilometers and not miles (and, perhaps you have already converted the real number to miles for the people south of Canada)

6. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

I need the 8-bolt wheels (2500 HD model) so i can register it as a truck. 5.3 model wont pass our regulations and i would have to pay like 2k of vat and 1-2k car taxes every year. as a truck i don't have to pay for some gay ass tax ****

7. 1953bowtieguy

If you are hard on the transmission it does break, cuz my old employer had a 01 or 02 suburban and he had to replace the tranny in it about 3 times. Idk what the name of the transmission is but mine is a 4l60e in my 94. You would prolly expect to get about 15-18 maybe, if its like mine you might get 12-15.

8. FinnishTruck

FinnishTruck New Member

car was made for usa 2005, and was brought to sweden 2007. it has mph speedometer. here in finland we use kilometers too

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Ok Then.. I am going over seas in 2 weeks I can't wait to see some of the trucks over there and what people have done to them..

10. 1953bowtieguy

It should have mph at kph on the gauge cluster. Just like my old employers