buying a yukon - questions about mileage and maintenence

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by brutmax, Oct 29, 2013.

1. brutmax

brutmax New Member

Hope you guys can help me out. I'm in the market for a used yukon, burb, or tahoe. Should I be concern with high mileage? What sort of maintenance should I be looking for? timing belt, component(s) change, etc.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

How old are you looking at?

My biggest concern would be did the previous owner take care of it.

3. brutmax

brutmax New Member

I was looking at 01 thru 06. So as long as the previous owner has taken care of it I shouldn't have to worry too much than. Any major things I should look out for?

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

That's my problem, how do you know the previous owner took care of the vehicle?

Are you looking at a 4WD model?

As far as problem areas, if a vehicle has been well maintained it will be OK. If I were you I would buy as new as possible. I don't know what used Yukons are going for, but a lot of dealers are clearing our left over 2013 Tahoe and Yukons. The dealer by me is advertising $10,000 off MSRP on a left over 2013 Tahoe.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Both yukon xl's that I have had have had front diff issues. Look for broken or missing exhaust manifold bolts. The stepper motors on the instrument clusters are known to go bad. I know that the 03 was well maintained as I got the records and know the owner of the shop that did it. The 05 I bought from a used car dealer, so who knows.

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah. 2wd or 4wd? What engine? How many miles? Are you looking for something bare bones or with some add ons?