Buying my first chevy truck...

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by rhriczko, Sep 19, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. rhriczko

rhriczko New Member

Hey all,

Im looking at buying my first chevy truck. My family have always been chevy people. Never given us any trouble at all.

The truck I am looking at is a 1997 1500 4X4 w/ 167,000 miles on it. The guy just put all new tires on w/ alignment, new brakes, new rear bumper, radiator, clutch fan, and new transmission a year ago. He says it runs and drives 100%, no rust, and he uses it as his daily driver. I would also be using it as my daily driver.

Im going up to look at it and possibly purchase it tomorrow or wed. What kind of things should I be looking for on this truck. Any known issues or defects? Anything that you guys would advise I look for?

Thanks,

Rob
  2. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi Rob, welcome to GMTC. You should post and intro in the new members forum so folks get to know you. I have a 98 K1500 (the 4x4, C1500 is the 2 wheel drive), 5.7L which is what I assume you are looking at. I am at 247,000 miles - original engine. If you do not know the guy it never hurts to take it to a good chevy mechanic and have him give it a good inspection. As for things to look for, there is a thread that I THINK is titled Common problems the 5.7L that is an excellent source for the kind of information for which you are looking.

Off the top of my head, the radiator is good for around 100k though mine went to 175K. The intake manifold gasket will have to be replaced every 100K or so. When I first got my Burb, it would eat brake pads. About every 20K or so it seemed I was putting pads on it. The rear brakes are good for a long, long time. The shoes on mine were replaced once due to wear. The second time was when I blew a wheel cylinder and soaked one side in brake fluid. So I replaced both wheels and the shoes.

All in all these trucks are built for longevity. There are guys here with over 300K on the clock and still counting. Good luck and post some pictures if you end up with this Burb.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, Rob. Make sure you check that the 4wd works/engages.