1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying Subwoofers & An Amp.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by STINSAN3, Jan 14, 2010.

1. STINSAN3

STINSAN3 New Member

Okay I'm fairly new at all this Sound System stuff, but I am looking for 2 10's or 2 12's. I was thinking about gettin the Kicker Solo 7's, but theres no way in heck I can afford that, so I was wondering what would be some really good brands of Subs, no more than $250 a pair, Thought bout getting the lower price Kickers but I really don't know yet, I want something that sounds pretty dang good & hits pretty good too. & an amp I really don't know about that one.
    So any info. would be greatly appreciated.
  2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

I'm running 2 Kicker COMP VR 2 Ohm DVC 12's and an Alpine MRD-M300 amp... I think I got all three for around $400...
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

The reality is when you ask a question like what are suggestions you are gonna get 20 responses with 20 different answers. the fix is set your budget and sticke with it! Go ans listen to some at a shop or best buy or whatever, dont buy just because someone says these are good let your ears figure it out. Try custom shops as well. whe it comes down to it any sub can sound great with the right box, just as any great sub can sound like crap with the wrong box and amp. so my advice is start going everywhere you can and really listen. Google can help you figure out alot too. There are sealed and ported boxes and a combonation of the two. each will give you different sound with the same sub and amp, especially depending on what kind of music you listen to and how loud you like it.
  4. Evil_E

Evil_E New Member

^agreed. also keep in mind that 15% of your budget needs to be for power wire, RCAs etc. etc.
    as far as subs size goes my vote would be 10s. here's why. no matter what style music you listen to IMO 10s complement it better. if you listen to hard rock with a fast bass line. 12s cant keep up with it as good as 10s. plus 10s dont need as much power than 12s....and they cost less. but again...this is just an oppinion.
    a brand i carry at my shop that is inexpensive and i have been pretty impressed with is Power Bass. i've got 2 10s on the floor that are going toe to toe with 2 10" Rockford Fosaget P2s. at a fraction of the cost. both their amps and subs have been better than i thought. hope this help a bit...best of luck.
  5. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

I have 3 12" Kicker Comp Vr's (CVR's) and I love them. Great for the money. I got them for 70 per sub. Like others have said the sound really depends on the design of the box. Power Acoustik makes some nice amps for the price. My friend has had his Power acoustik amps for over a year and they've worked fine. When you get the Subs & amp get some quality power wire/ speaker wire/ and RCA's.

We might be able to help you decide on what subs to get if we knew what kind of vehicle it is being installed to. Also what music you listen to and what the dimensions are of the area your planning on putting the subs in.

All of that plays a big role in this situation.
  6. STINSAN3

STINSAN3 New Member

I dont think 3 12" Kicker CVR's would fit in my '07 Chevy Silverado LT Ext Cab 5.3 (new body)
    So what do you guys think that I should get, not spending no more than $250 for the Subs & no more than $100 for the amp & no more than 100 on the Custom Made Box which i can slide under the ext cab seats...
    and I like to listen to rap and/or hip-hop and Rock too. so any new ideas, guys?
  7. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

I know they wont fit. I was using them as an example on the sub. All I listen to on my kicker cvr's is rap/ hip hop. My friend only listens to rock on his and it sounds good. He has a ext cab.
  8. STINSAN3

STINSAN3 New Member

So you think I should go with those instead? what you have, but just 2 of 'em & so you got 'em for $70 each & where did you get yours at?
  9. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

I like them, but its your choice. Try going to some local car shows or some car audio shops and see what they have. I got mine from amazon.com
  10. STINSAN3

STINSAN3 New Member

Thanks I'll go to Best Buy on Saturday & see what they have, the closest audio shop is a hour away, so that sucks.