GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Buying tires online? (Are savings to be had?)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bowtied, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Member

Hey guys, I know that on my motorcycle board we typically buy our tires online for substantial savings with web only retailers.

Being that automotive tires market must 100's of times larger than the bike market, is there any savings to be had online with tires?

If so, are they from the usual suspects (discount tire, pepboys, etc.) seasonally? or are there any small retailers (sponsors?) with savings to be had.

Im just looking for OEM 16" tires on my silverado. nothing fancy, just curious whats out there.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Depending on what you want Tirerack.com which is a sponsor here has great deals and rebates. The hard part is getting them shipped and mounted. Shipping can cost close to $100
  3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

Firestone Auto Care is the cheapest I found to mount, at 35 dollars for all four. For tires I would only look around holidays as many either give you great rebates or free shipping
  4. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 New Member

I would think the tire market to be fairly competitive, shipping handling, mounting balance and valve stems, I would never order that way myself, but I have a couple of buddies that wont purchace the conventional way of walking into a store and making a purchase for a set of tires, I do try to support the local business as much as I can and try to avoid the bigger chains, but sometimes its all about the money, it will be interesting to see how this thread pans out, I might learn something new today.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I buy my tires used off of Craigslist. I pay anywhere from $149-200 for 4 and if they last me 1 1/2 summers then well worth it.. My winter tires are still what came with my truck back in 08....
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

... moved to Wheels & Tires ...
  7. stchman

stchman New Member

You can save quite a bit of cash buying tires online, the problem is that your savings are eaten up by shipping and mounting/balancing.

With this being said, you can save a lot of money if you buy complete wheels and tires as Tirerack will mount and balance them for you.
  8. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator

My observations is that it often comes out in the wash. It is true that online retailers advertise a much lower price per tire, but after you pay for shipping, then a separate mounting and balance at your local tire shop, you have not saved anything (at which point, I personally prefer to support my local economy). Most tire shops that I've seen will also provide lifetime flat repair, balancing, rotations, etc. when you buy new tires from them (which they often won't include if you buy the tires elsewhere then have them do the mount and balance).
  9. stchman

stchman New Member

The local tire shops by me you can get things like free road hazard, lifetime balance and rotation. You cannot get that with online tire buying.
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

You can get Lifetime balance and rotation if you get Tirerack tires and have them mounted at Sears Autocenter. I did that for my truck and it was worth it. I also have what every the Tirerack warranty is with the Sears one.
  11. Rebel_Bowtie

Rebel_Bowtie New Member

www.tirebuyer.com

Just bought a set of Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts for $300 cheaper than I found anywhere else (including tirerack, 4wheelparts, big o' tires and discount tire) and FREE SHIPPING!! Then again, it pays to have a buddy who owns his own shop for installation.
  12. BRB46

BRB46 New Member

I bought a set from Tire Rack on line and picked them up at one of their regional warehouses so shipping wasn't an issue. Had my local tire shop mount and balance them. They were $75 dollars cheaper than any place that carried that same tire. That was $75 per tire. i was happy with that. It was only 1 hour drive to the warehouse.
  13. ChevyFan

[MENTION=45366]BRB46[/MENTION] $300 savings for a couple hours of driving. Thats not a bad tradeoff.
  14. BRB46

BRB46 New Member

It cost me about $27 dollars for fuel and the mounting and balance was also free. I couldn't pass up on that deal.
  15. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

I bought mine online and wally world will mount them and provide lifetime rotation and balance! I had mine mounted by local shop though!
  16. ChevyFan

What's Walmart charge for the mounting and balancing service?
  17. ChevyFan

Also ... i'm guessing they have no mileage guarantee when you order online ... not that I ever got all that much out of one of those.
  18. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member

My son works at Walmart as security. He said they will only mount tires not purchased at Walmart if they are new and still have all the stickers on the tires.

It's a liability thing.
  19. ChevyFan

That makes sense. What's the cost per tire?
  20. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member

Don't know-he got his tires that he bought online mounted for free since he worked at a particular store and the main auto guy knew him!