1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buying tires online? (Are savings to be had?)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bowtied, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Member

Hey guys, I know that on my motorcycle board we typically buy our tires online for substantial savings with web only retailers.

Being that automotive tires market must 100's of times larger than the bike market, is there any savings to be had online with tires?

If so, are they from the usual suspects (discount tire, pepboys, etc.) seasonally? or are there any small retailers (sponsors?) with savings to be had.

Im just looking for OEM 16" tires on my silverado. nothing fancy, just curious whats out there.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Depending on what you want Tirerack.com which is a sponsor here has great deals and rebates. The hard part is getting them shipped and mounted. Shipping can cost close to $100
  3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Member ROTM Winner

Firestone Auto Care is the cheapest I found to mount, at 35 dollars for all four. For tires I would only look around holidays as many either give you great rebates or free shipping
  4. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member

I would think the tire market to be fairly competitive, shipping handling, mounting balance and valve stems, I would never order that way myself, but I have a couple of buddies that wont purchace the conventional way of walking into a store and making a purchase for a set of tires, I do try to support the local business as much as I can and try to avoid the bigger chains, but sometimes its all about the money, it will be interesting to see how this thread pans out, I might learn something new today.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I buy my tires used off of Craigslist. I pay anywhere from $149-200 for 4 and if they last me 1 1/2 summers then well worth it.. My winter tires are still what came with my truck back in 08....
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

... moved to Wheels & Tires ...
  7. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

You can save quite a bit of cash buying tires online, the problem is that your savings are eaten up by shipping and mounting/balancing.

With this being said, you can save a lot of money if you buy complete wheels and tires as Tirerack will mount and balance them for you.
  8. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

My observations is that it often comes out in the wash. It is true that online retailers advertise a much lower price per tire, but after you pay for shipping, then a separate mounting and balance at your local tire shop, you have not saved anything (at which point, I personally prefer to support my local economy). Most tire shops that I've seen will also provide lifetime flat repair, balancing, rotations, etc. when you buy new tires from them (which they often won't include if you buy the tires elsewhere then have them do the mount and balance).
  9. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

The local tire shops by me you can get things like free road hazard, lifetime balance and rotation. You cannot get that with online tire buying.
  10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

You can get Lifetime balance and rotation if you get Tirerack tires and have them mounted at Sears Autocenter. I did that for my truck and it was worth it. I also have what every the Tirerack warranty is with the Sears one.