Buying tires online? (Are savings to be had?)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bowtied, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Rebel_Bowtie

Rebel_Bowtie Member

www.tirebuyer.com

Just bought a set of Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts for $300 cheaper than I found anywhere else (including tirerack, 4wheelparts, big o' tires and discount tire) and FREE SHIPPING!! Then again, it pays to have a buddy who owns his own shop for installation.

2. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I bought a set from Tire Rack on line and picked them up at one of their regional warehouses so shipping wasn't an issue. Had my local tire shop mount and balance them. They were $75 dollars cheaper than any place that carried that same tire. That was $75 per tire. i was happy with that. It was only 1 hour drive to the warehouse.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

[MENTION=45366]BRB46[/MENTION] $300 savings for a couple hours of driving. Thats not a bad tradeoff.

4. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

It cost me about $27 dollars for fuel and the mounting and balance was also free. I couldn't pass up on that deal.

5. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I bought mine online and wally world will mount them and provide lifetime rotation and balance! I had mine mounted by local shop though!

6. ChevyFan

What's Walmart charge for the mounting and balancing service?

7. ChevyFan

Also ... i'm guessing they have no mileage guarantee when you order online ... not that I ever got all that much out of one of those.

8. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

My son works at Walmart as security. He said they will only mount tires not purchased at Walmart if they are new and still have all the stickers on the tires.

It's a liability thing.

9. ChevyFan

That makes sense. What's the cost per tire?

10. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

Don't know-he got his tires that he bought online mounted for free since he worked at a particular store and the main auto guy knew him!