Buying used Suburban, need advice

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by thisiscrazy, Aug 7, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. thisiscrazy

thisiscrazy New Member

Hi, I am having to buy a Suburban. Moving 1500 miles - Texas to South Florida - with 3 big dogs (oh boy!). Have choice between 1999 LT. 125k miles. Leather, great condition. $2750. Or. 2002 LT with 104k miles. Leather. All is fine except clear coat is flaking, especially bad on hood. Price is $4900. I'm inclined to go with the 1999. Aside from the paint issue, the interior quality of the 99 seems much higher, e.g., it has woodgrain. Looks like Chevy scaled back on quality between 99 and 02. Would appreciate advice, thoughts, and your smart 2 cents' worth!
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Me, myself would go with the 99. If in as good as shape you think it is, The 02 if he did not care enough about the body more than likely go’s for everything else as well. If you don’t care about what you see how can you care about what you don’t? That will be my 2 cents..

By the way :sign0016: to the club..
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

If it were me I'd do the 99 and then spend some of the remainder fixing the paint issue. :)
  4. donyms

donyms New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard. 99 here too. :glasses:
  5. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

As far as comfort and convenience, I love my 00 way better than my 96 3/4 ton Suburban... But, i couldn't kill my 96 Burban. Much more reliable. You're comparing two totally different vehicles, so you'll need to see which is in better shape for the money.
  6. thisiscrazy

thisiscrazy New Member

Thanks for the welcome, y'all. And the feedback! Drove the '99 about an hour ago. Very nice. Guy claims only major work last 2 years/50k miles was fuel pump (replaced w/1-way valve something or other) and new alternator. Smooth tranny. Leather's well kept. Paint is perfect! No dings, only tiny scratches. Carpet needs shampooing...kids! I'll take that as the prime problem any day. Gonna have mechanic check 'er out. And if thumbs up, I'm gonna have myself a Burb-bus. Then all I gotta do is learn to drive it! My current ride is 5-speed Maxima SE!
  7. MindEddy

MindEddy New Member

Same question with a twist! Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread, or take this one down a trail, so erring on the side of economy.

Also looking at 1999 & 2002 & 2004 Suburban!

So here is the question - 1) Do you take a 1999 in fantastic shape and a few more miles for a few thousand less, or buy the 2002-2004 for the newer...whatever technology?

One more question - 2) WHY in the world does a "2002 5.3 Z71 4wd" show EPA 12/15, but a "2004 5.3 Z71 4wd" show EPA 13/17 ?? I've looked in 3 different locations and the highway miles for a 2004 identically equiped as a 2002 shows "2" more MPG on highway. Is that possible? What changed?

Thank you,

MindEddy [new here]

** I once owned two 1987 Suburbans [GMC & Chevy], both the best trucks I ever had. NOW, I'm trying to find another one for travel/light towing for the family and am trying to decide between 1999 & 200X models. Also trying to decide if 4WD is a good sleeper option to have.
  8. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member 100 Posts

welcome to the good side :D
  9. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member 100 Posts

welcome to the club! id say go with the less expensive 99, but ive never really been afraid of miles. is the 99 2 or 4wd? 4wd is always nice to have just because you never know when youll need it. question #2: who the hell knows lol they probably just had to match the lies of the other companies :p
  10. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M TC ! I'd be more inclined to go with the '99, also. I had a '99 3/4 ton crew cab and it was a great truck!