1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buzzing/Humming sound after Trans Oil Change

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by RickC, Apr 25, 2012.

1. RickC

RickC New Member

I own a 2004 Suburban with a 5.3L V8 flex fuel and a couple of days after I had the transmission fluid changed I started to hear a loud humming/buzzing sound as I drive down the highway. Anyone have any idea why this may happen?

I also plan on tuning up the vehicle and besides the spark plugs and wires, what else can I replace?

Thanks for your feedback!
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

If the fluid was burned before it was changed, it could very well be the transmission failing. Automatic transmission fluid has a lot of detergents in it. If the transmission has not been well maintained of it's lifetime and the fluid has become burnt, boiling transmission fluid will destroy the surface of the internal clutches. If it is bad enough, when you change the fluid, it can clean the friction material right off of the surface of the clutches. Hopefully this is not the case. I would add in a bottle of friction modifier either way. Friction modifier is not a bad thing and even a good transmission can benefit from it.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Change out your fuel filter and air filter also. I had a heck of a time changing my 2003 yukon flex fuel filter. The quick connect was a pain to get apart. The cheapest place I found the tool was o'reilly auto parts. I attached a picture of the tool below. Get a can of Throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush and give the throttle body a good cleaning also. As far as the buzzing sound, I have no idea! I had a 1990 safari minivan and it made that noise for 150,000 miles. Then someone else drove it for another 100,000 and junked it. It had over 400k on it at the end with the same original buzzing trans. You could really hear it when going thru a drive thru. IMG_2521.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. RickC

RickC New Member

Thanks for the info...if my memory serves me right, I do believe the fluid had some bubbles when the mechanic took a look at the dipstick. He still recommended the change with about 147K miles on my suburban. Prior to my suburuban, I had a 1998 Z71 and was told NOT to replace the fluid at 120K miles. I left it with 220K miles and no problems with the tranny. So, will the friction modifier still help?

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Pikey, I've changed the plugs and wires before but prior to my suburban I had a 1998 Silverado z71 and knew how to do everything on it. I'm not too familiar with the throttle body or it's location. I'm going to Google it. I did change my fuel filter a couple of months ago and it was a pain! I never had that much trouble with my Silverado Z71. However, now that I see you posted a pic of the tool, that's first on my list when I visit the local autoparts store. Thanks for the post!
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just follow the black tube from your air cleaner to the intake. There it is. Take off the black tube and clean in the intake, open the butterfly and be sure to get the front and back of it. I have heard of guys taking them off to get them really clean, But I will not do it until I have to. Knowing my luck I would have a leak at the gasket after I did it. They sell a tool that looks just like mine. But, it has a few different attachments in the package. It also costs double. I think that I paid $14 for mine. But, as you said, where they put the filter makes it a pain to get at.
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Go ahead and put a bottle of friction modifier in.

best case scenario: It works and your noise goes away.
    worst case scenario: You wasted 6 bux and it didn't help anything.