1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Buzzing/Humming while shifting for first 2 - 5 minutes of driving

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Fitzi722, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Fitzi722

Fitzi722 New Member

So, my daily driver 04 Silverado 1500 Z71 (4.8l) is making a buzzing / humming noise while shifting, but only for the first few minutes of driving. The noise is strange, sounds almost like a dying plastic window fan. I am not a super-mechanic, but I know my way around a car, and this has thrown a curveball at me. Idk what this noise could be. After the 2 - 5 minutes of making this noise during shifting it stops and the truck drives/shifts perfectly and quietly.

Im baffled. Ive asked around and gotten answers that range from "overdrive kicking on" to "trans filter clogged" to something about a "high pressure valve". Just wondering if anyone has come across this in the past.

Oh, just for reference it does not "clunk" while shifting like everyone talks about.

Thanks for any help in advance
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Could be the transmission fluid maybe? I say that since you say the problem occurs during the first few minutes of driving, before the transmission and other fluids have come up to temperature. When was the last time you had your transmission fluid changed?