bypass video shutoff while driving on dvd unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jes1766, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jes1766

jes1766 New Member

I'm wanting to install a Jensen 7" Multimedia In-Dash Video unit in my 1996 suburban. Can I bypass dvd shutoff while driving? the whole purpose to get it so my wife can watch a movie while we travel. Can some one tell me how to do it. thanks

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Only custom shops really know the right way to do it, every retail place must put in the switch, usually it is connected to the parking brake to engage it so you can watch a video, but you probably can find some way if you start googling

3. StillMatic

StillMatic Rockstar 100 Posts

Jensen are the easiest to bypass. I had mine set up to a toggle switch. When the switch was on, it played while driving but since it is against the law to drive with one on, a switch is needed.
    Do a google searh on "How to bypass the parking brake on a Jensen (INSERT MODEL# HERE).
    You should get the directions needed. I had the vm9412

4. lilbrett

lilbrett New Member

I put a pioneer in my buddy's truck and just had to ground that wire.

5. identityPRS

identityPRS Rockstar 100 Posts

just do like the guy a few posts above me said, google it. you can bypass most of the aftermarket radios by grounding the parking brake wire (usually light green). however, sometimes they need a switch in-line with the ground. and for the smat ones, like the new pioneer units, you have to re-pin the harness. but, to answer your question, i would just google it. i would imagine the Jensens are pretty easy to bypass, im guessing just ground it.....

6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had a freind who asked the installer to help him out on this. The installer rewired a switch that ws connected to the brake actuator switch. Now the system is functiona at any sped. I think it was a pioneer.

7. cohen

cohen New Member

I had a Clarion flipout and all car audio stores wanted to charge me like $150 to do it. But all you have to do is ground the wire for the parking brake :great:

8. jes1766

jes1766 New Member

thanks for the info