Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

CA Smog Check Cost - Someone shed some light on this

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by j-schmizzle, Jun 10, 2010.

1. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

why is it that majority of the smog check stations in CA charge extra money for SUVs & full size trucks? i went to 4 different smog places today & all 4 places said they either had to charge additional $10, $15 & even $20 dollars because it was a full size truck. so i asked them why the extra charge? none of the technicians can give me an explanation except "it's a full size truck"... wth?!?!

i can understand parking lots charging a little more because of the space that full trucks take up. but to charge extra $$ for a smog test because it's a full size truck. come on now!!! is it b/c it requires more walking distance to get from the smog computer to the exhaust pipe? haha.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow that is why i am happy to live in an area that doesnt require smog checks. When i lived in GA there was never talk of charging more for a truck though?? Sounds like another way of taking advantage of someone

3. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

first problem i see is where you are at !!
    california likes to bend you over the counter without any lube or even a reach around ! :gasp:

just another way to suck $$$ from your pocket, and to keep people from buying full size vehicles.

- hmmmm, if we charge the same price for a " monster rig gas guzzler" as a prius,
    then everyone will start hogging the freeways with oversized trucks and we cant sap the
    small ones for EPA & CARB violations....
    but if we PENALIZE you for owning a large vehicle, we can tax you just for having it... :no:

4. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

yeah taking advantage is right on the button. i also have have an 88 jeep cherokee that was due for smog a while back that's as long as a toyota camry, also 6 cyl. but yet, because it's an SUV it get's charged additional $$$. but that's not going to deter me from buying and loving my gas guzzling, polluting vehicles!!!:lol: