CA Smog Check Cost - Someone shed some light on this

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by j-schmizzle, Jun 10, 2010.

1. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

why is it that majority of the smog check stations in CA charge extra money for SUVs & full size trucks? i went to 4 different smog places today & all 4 places said they either had to charge additional $10, $15 & even $20 dollars because it was a full size truck. so i asked them why the extra charge? none of the technicians can give me an explanation except "it's a full size truck"... wth?!?!

i can understand parking lots charging a little more because of the space that full trucks take up. but to charge extra $$ for a smog test because it's a full size truck. come on now!!! is it b/c it requires more walking distance to get from the smog computer to the exhaust pipe? haha.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow that is why i am happy to live in an area that doesnt require smog checks. When i lived in GA there was never talk of charging more for a truck though?? Sounds like another way of taking advantage of someone

3. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

first problem i see is where you are at !!
    california likes to bend you over the counter without any lube or even a reach around ! :gasp:

just another way to suck $$$ from your pocket, and to keep people from buying full size vehicles.

- hmmmm, if we charge the same price for a " monster rig gas guzzler" as a prius,
    then everyone will start hogging the freeways with oversized trucks and we cant sap the
    small ones for EPA & CARB violations....
    but if we PENALIZE you for owning a large vehicle, we can tax you just for having it... :no:

4. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

yeah taking advantage is right on the button. i also have have an 88 jeep cherokee that was due for smog a while back that's as long as a toyota camry, also 6 cyl. but yet, because it's an SUV it get's charged additional $$$. but that's not going to deter me from buying and loving my gas guzzling, polluting vehicles!!!:lol: