cab corners

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 2wheelmudder, Oct 15, 2009.

  1. 2wheelmudder

    2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

    So many of my year trucks know these can get pretty ugly, i want to get rid of these rust spots, i found some cab corner sets for about $100 on, idk if thats a good way to go, havent really done any body work, or anything so idk how the whole paint thing goes... any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
  2. RWK

    RWK Rockstar

    It is a lot of work. I helped a buddy of mine with his cab corners. He was into welding and all that stuff, I just mainly watched him. I just supplied the garage and some lifting power when it came time to remove the truck bed. It was heavy, but both of us removed his truck bed. I tried welding, but just blew holes into the sheet metal.

    He had the crimper tool for the sheet metal and the welder. The repair job turned out nice. Since the paint was old and faded the paint didn't match up too well. It has been about 15 years and he is now doing a total restoration of that truck. He took the whole frame a part and is now in the process of putting it all back together, wish I was there to help him.
  3. KAHruzer

    KAHruzer Member

    Being a little new to trucks, I've been seeing "cab corners" mentioned a lot.

    The truck I just bought, see sig, has some rust out along the bottom rear corner of the cab.

    Is this considered the "cab corner", or are those at the top of the cab?

    I've seen lots of Chevy/GMC trucks with this very spot rusted out, so have been presuming we were all talking about the same thing. But, I've since come to wonder.
  4. RWK

    RWK Rockstar

    Yep, when someone mentions, the Cab Corners, they are usually the lower corners.
  5. maxpower_454

    maxpower_454 Member

    Yep, the drivers side on my 91 has a rust hole through it but the rest of the truck is very solid. Looks like it rusted from the inside out. There is probably a design problem with drainage on the cab. Almost every truck of this year I see has the same problem.

    I was thinking about filling it with that plumbers insulating foam, bondo'ing over it, and drilling a drainage hole at the bottom. That would minimize the area I need to paint. I have factory matched paint in a can but you can still tell the difference since my paint is a little faded so I don't want to replace the whole cab corner.
  6. 2wheelmudder

    2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

    that sounds like a good idea, where were you gonna make the hole at and where do you get the factory paint from?
  7. RWK

    RWK Rockstar

    I went to NAPA and they mixed up an aerosol can with the paint code from my car. $19.95 a can.
  8. 2wheelmudder

    2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

    sounds like pretty good deal, where you get that plumbers foam and bondo from
  9. maxpower_454

    maxpower_454 Member

    $19.95 a can:gasp:I got mine from A&A Auto store which is a local chain here in PA. $7. You can also get it online. You need to get the paint code from your truck. Here's mine:

    You can get the foam from any hardware store, i think it's called "Great Stuff"

    Bondo can be bought from any autoparts store, even the pseudo-auto stores like advanced and autozone.
  10. csraiders

    csraiders New Member

    rust repair panels

    I had the same problem with my Silverado. I found a place called Lake Erie Trading Company at that saved me a lot of money. I bought my rocker panels for like $110 each and the cab corners for roughly $40 each. It took me a while of shopping around, but they had the best prices that I could find. When I am done with my truck I will post pics. But like one of the guys said, I'm not doing the work, just watching my buddy do the welding. lol Good luck with your project, hope this helps.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos