Cabin air filter 02 extcab Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by okiemudslinger, Sep 10, 2013.

1. I'm new to the new body style cabs and I hear they have a cabin air filter but where is it and how do I change it. I asking because I'm don't have very good air flow from my vents and I figure the filter needs changed if there is one.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

look down at the dash above where the passengers feet would be. You will see a long black piece of plastic trim. you need to remove this piece. Then over near the trans hump you will see a door, it is held closed with a small bolt. Open this door and there should be 2 filters in there.

Here is a video. It is pretty low quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWoSdrTfj0w

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. I will do that tonight thanks

4. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Pikey gave a good description and is correct: it is behind the glove box / above the front passenger's feet.

What I will add is that the air filter compartment should have 2 filters in it. Once you open the compartment, you may need to pull the first filter towards you a little then down/out then reach in and grab the second filter and pull it all the way towards you then down/out.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I also just added a video that I found on you tube to my first post. It is shaky but, should help

6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

might be something to check out for me.... a new filter never hurts

7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Heh, I've only replaced mine twice in the life of the truck. I propbably should change it more often.

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Loving the Outdoors 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I just did one in a friends Nissan a 05 That was never changed.. [​IMG] Lets just say you could NOT tell what color it used to be In my 02 Av I used to do it every 6 months I wish the newer trucks had them.. GM going CHEAP again..[​IMG] When you do it have a Vacuum close by

9. Alan Crosby

Alan Crosby Member

Are you saying that the 07-13 generation do not have cabin filters?

10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Loving the Outdoors 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

03 or 04 up do not have them.... :-(