1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cabin air filter 02 extcab Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by okiemudslinger, Sep 10, 2013.

1. okiemudslinger

okiemudslinger New Member

I'm new to the new body style cabs and I hear they have a cabin air filter but where is it and how do I change it. I asking because I'm don't have very good air flow from my vents and I figure the filter needs changed if there is one.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

look down at the dash above where the passengers feet would be. You will see a long black piece of plastic trim. you need to remove this piece. Then over near the trans hump you will see a door, it is held closed with a small bolt. Open this door and there should be 2 filters in there.

Here is a video. It is pretty low quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWoSdrTfj0w
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. okiemudslinger

okiemudslinger New Member

I will do that tonight thanks
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Pikey gave a good description and is correct: it is behind the glove box / above the front passenger's feet.

What I will add is that the air filter compartment should have 2 filters in it. Once you open the compartment, you may need to pull the first filter towards you a little then down/out then reach in and grab the second filter and pull it all the way towards you then down/out.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I also just added a video that I found on you tube to my first post. It is shaky but, should help
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

might be something to check out for me.... a new filter never hurts
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Heh, I've only replaced mine twice in the life of the truck. I propbably should change it more often.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I just did one in a friends Nissan a 05 That was never changed.. [​IMG] Lets just say you could NOT tell what color it used to be In my 02 Av I used to do it every 6 months I wish the newer trucks had them.. GM going CHEAP again..[​IMG] When you do it have a Vacuum close by
  9. Alan Crosby

Alan Crosby New Member

Are you saying that the 07-13 generation do not have cabin filters?
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

03 or 04 up do not have them.... :-(