Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cabin Air Filter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rndeleon1988, Sep 22, 2012.

1. rndeleon1988

rndeleon1988 New Member

Greetings,
    I own a 2005 chevy silverado 2500HD and wanted to change the cabin air filter. I was told that cabin air filters were done away with, but I inspected anyway. Upon unscrewing some things, I discovered a dirty filter-looking majigar within the plastic compartment in the usual area an air filter would be located. But there is no means to get to it!

Is what I'm looking at even a cabin air filter? If so, could someone please lend me their aid in getting to it. There are no screws or bolts to gain access :(
    Attached are three pictures, one of the supposed cabin air filter, the second picture is what the nuts/screws/whatever it takes to gain access, and the third is what the entire plastic container looks like at the bottom of the passenger foot area.

Thank you for your time,
    -Richard
    IMG957.jpg IMG965.jpg
    IMG961.jpg

2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That looks like the heat exchanger. If you had cabin air filters they would be right in front of it. So it looks like you don't have them.

Here is the parts diagram for a 2000 Silverado 2500 (It matches my 1500 from the same year). Part # 5 is the cabin air filters.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/G/GH99135.gif

3. rndeleon1988

rndeleon1988 New Member

Thanks for the information, hopefully this helps others who might have the same question.

Oh god, gross. I poked it with my finger. Its wet and moldy. Does this thing have to be changed?

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Use a wet dry vacuum to clean it out the best you can, maybe wipe it with some paper towels. Also get a damprid moisture capture container, I have one in my truck it really helps with odors and dampness.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Wish the newer trucks had them My 02 did and it worked great My 08 gets all the leaf's and they just go right through the vents.. Just GM going Cheap again.......

6. rndeleon1988

rndeleon1988 New Member

I wish mine had them, now my fear has a possibility of coming true. An angry bee coming through the vent and attacking me lol. In my 2006 Mazda6 I found a dead red wasp in the filter, scared the tar out of me!