1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

CAI on 2500 with throttle body spacer setup.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RAV52202, May 22, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

I have a 2002 2500 GMC and I am looking to put a CAI on my truck. I have a throttle body spacer. Any one out there with this kind of setup. If so what brand and did you have to modify anything to get it to fit. I know there isn't much space between the throttle body and the fan shroud. I found a couple but they say wont fit with throttle body spacer. Any pics would be cool too. Thanks for any info.

2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Wont fit because it hits the fan shroud. You can trim it and i have seen many people do it. I personally dont think they do much but if you already have it go for it.

3. RAV52202

Yeah I was thinking I would have to trim the fan shroud. I guess I really want to get rid of that ugly piece of plastic from the air filter to the throttle body. I dont know why they put that bulky crap in there.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Throttle body spacers are a complete waste of money unless you like the whistle sound. As far as a CAI, just get an MIT from Airaid, the air filter housing is already a cold air type.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If your from Maine this is a waste of money and time. also in the winter trouble.

now if you live in the phoenix AZ area this will help when the temps go above 100 deg 4-5 months of the year.

6. RAV52202

The throttle body spacer was on it when I bought it. Dont know if it makes a difference or not.

- - - Updated - - -

I had one on one of my other trucks and it seemed to work. Or at least sounded good. I will check into the MIT that stchman talked about. Thanks for the input.

7. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I ran a K&N 77 series full CAI with a throttle body spacer and everything fit just fine... didn't have to modify anything, just followed the installation instructions to the T.

I have since removed the throttle body spacer because it was so annoying.. I even had people asking me all the time what was wrong with my truck. I didn't see any performance gains/losses with it either. So basically all it does it make your truck whistle.

Pic of my setup below.. you can't see the TBS but it's there.

K and N.jpg

8. RAV52202

Nice looking setup. It is different from mine though. I have a 2002 with clutch fan. so I dont have the room you do. Thanks for the info and pics though. Nice truck.

9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Since it's in the way, take it off and sell it on ebay. That's my advice. Throttle body spacers do absolutely zero on your type of intake.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my MIT for my Silverado. Sounds good at WOT.

20121213_213836.jpg

10. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Member 1 Year

Yes TB Spacers are a waste of metal unless it has nitrous fittings built into it :D

The airraid MIT tube is the best choice with the stock air box and a quality filter. it out performs all the "Cold Air Kits" on a stock engine.
    Black Bear Performance tested them on a dyno and that was his findings.

You will see better gains goin to Electric Fans and gain room for your Airraid MIT tube.