CAI on 2500 with throttle body spacer setup.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RAV52202, May 22, 2013.

1. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

I have a 2002 2500 GMC and I am looking to put a CAI on my truck. I have a throttle body spacer. Any one out there with this kind of setup. If so what brand and did you have to modify anything to get it to fit. I know there isn't much space between the throttle body and the fan shroud. I found a couple but they say wont fit with throttle body spacer. Any pics would be cool too. Thanks for any info.

2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Wont fit because it hits the fan shroud. You can trim it and i have seen many people do it. I personally dont think they do much but if you already have it go for it.

3. RAV52202

Yeah I was thinking I would have to trim the fan shroud. I guess I really want to get rid of that ugly piece of plastic from the air filter to the throttle body. I dont know why they put that bulky crap in there.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Throttle body spacers are a complete waste of money unless you like the whistle sound. As far as a CAI, just get an MIT from Airaid, the air filter housing is already a cold air type.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

If your from Maine this is a waste of money and time. also in the winter trouble.

now if you live in the phoenix AZ area this will help when the temps go above 100 deg 4-5 months of the year.

6. RAV52202

The throttle body spacer was on it when I bought it. Dont know if it makes a difference or not.

- - - Updated - - -

I had one on one of my other trucks and it seemed to work. Or at least sounded good. I will check into the MIT that stchman talked about. Thanks for the input.

7. AnimalYates

AnimalYates Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I ran a K&N 77 series full CAI with a throttle body spacer and everything fit just fine... didn't have to modify anything, just followed the installation instructions to the T.

I have since removed the throttle body spacer because it was so annoying.. I even had people asking me all the time what was wrong with my truck. I didn't see any performance gains/losses with it either. So basically all it does it make your truck whistle.

Pic of my setup below.. you can't see the TBS but it's there.

K and N.jpg

8. RAV52202

Nice looking setup. It is different from mine though. I have a 2002 with clutch fan. so I dont have the room you do. Thanks for the info and pics though. Nice truck.

9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Since it's in the way, take it off and sell it on ebay. That's my advice. Throttle body spacers do absolutely zero on your type of intake.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my MIT for my Silverado. Sounds good at WOT.

20121213_213836.jpg

10. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Member 1 Year

Yes TB Spacers are a waste of metal unless it has nitrous fittings built into it :D

The airraid MIT tube is the best choice with the stock air box and a quality filter. it out performs all the "Cold Air Kits" on a stock engine.
    Black Bear Performance tested them on a dyno and that was his findings.

You will see better gains goin to Electric Fans and gain room for your Airraid MIT tube.