1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cai

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by cohen, Sep 30, 2008.

1. cohen

cohen New Member

Does anyone reccomend a certain company, or have heard one company's are better over anothers? I know most of it is preference, application, price, and/or advertising though. I'm trying to find one for my truck. I do go off road frequently, either beach or trail riding, mostly during hunting season. And want something thats going to have the best performance, but not spend over $500 or so. I have only talked to one other person with a silverado, and he had the AEM brute force, and said it was the best one you can buy.
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There are many to choose from. I own a K&N and an AFE on my trucks and there are a half-dozen more companies available. Do your homework and research each one to find the best gains (for HP and Torque), the best filtration in either an oiled or dry filter, and so on. Look in our Performance forum and you will find hundreds of posts on CAI's.

Good luck!
  3. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

One thing you might want to keep in mind is if you do lots of off-roading where water may splash up into your engine compartment, you may want to stay away from the open filter intakes (K&N for example). If you don't go running through creeks or really deep mud, it shouldn't be a problem. If you do, you may want to check out Volant. They have enclosed air boxes. I'm sure there are others as well, but that's the one that comes to mind. I have a K&N on my truck and love it, but mine has mostly been a street machine.
  4. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

The new K&N is in an enclosed box as well. Better pricing on the K&N for sure
  5. no0b123

no0b123 New Member ROTM Winner

AEM or Volant for you. Both are around $300 dollars.
  6. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

Ah, I didn't realize that. Mine has an open filter, so I thought they were all like that. I didn't realize they went through a design change. Thanks for the clarification!
  7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

Go whith a K&N. Their filter is purdy.
  8. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

Yeah here is the part number for 07-08 NBS. KAN63-3058 It doesn't show it in the pics anywhere but is an enclosed box now. I got mine for $235 shipped. If you look at the pick in the link. There is one hole that you can see in the top right. There are four more and that is how you screw the top of the box on [media]http://kandn.com/images/l/63-3058.jpg[/media]
  9. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Go with Volant!

Volant's filter is a dry filter, which is better because alot of other CAI's use oiled filters and they can damage your MAF. That can be expensive to replace. And is virtually impossible to clean. Two Guys Garage (TV show) installed a Volant on a Silverado with a 6.0L and got 23 HP increase. DYNO Tested!!!!!

I will be buying one for my 02 Avalanche 2500 8.1L as soon as I can afford it.

It will run you around 350$
  10. cohen

cohen New Member

ok so now I'm between the Volant $302.95 & GM Performance Parts $343.62 both after shipping. :neutral: