1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Call before you dig!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Cableguy, May 25, 2007.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In this day and age CableTV is not just TV anymore. There is Fibre optics and Coax in ground. In the day when I started there was 36 channels and no 2way capabilities. Now there is Internet, Lan line phone, Digital cable, HDTV, Lottery corporation, Business solutions, Direct debit, and many others riding on our fibre back bone. Rogers has 1 of North Americas largest fibre sonet rings ever to be produced. So why is it so difficult to Call before you dig!
    Below is a series of events leading up to a break I was called to. Now I have to submitt a huge damage claim report because people still say "Oh its just Cable" Which in turn took down about 15000 people not to mention businesses.

Hi my name is Mr High Hoe operator
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna dig a big hole for no apparent reason
    [​IMG]

Thats intestesting are those overhead wires coming down the pole...nah! Couldn't be.
    [​IMG]

Oh my, look what I've gone and done...My Bad!
    [​IMG]

Oh looks like its a 312 count fibre optics cable. Gee that looks big.

Gee I hope my boss has really good insurance.

Jamie had nothing better to do anyway...
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Would you stop your B*tching already....sheesh
    j/k

You're right, it's a good idea to call first. That operator is lucky it wasn't a gas line that he ruptured instead,
  3. Cableguy

There is a 6" gas main 2' from where our break is...
  4. TrailLeadr

Isn't that special then...
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Think of these idiots as job security.

I watched a contractor on a Bobcat shut off all phone and internet service to the Marrietta Ga. Lockheed Marten plant by cutting a main trunk. At the time I didnt know what had happened when he was quickly loading his Bobcat on the trailer and hauling tail out. It wasnt until an hour later when the repair guys showed up and asked me why I was digging and cut their cable.
  6. Cableguy

I usually don't give the average joe a hard time. These were professionals and know better. I guess I was just blowing off steam.
  7. TrailLeadr

I'd say you're entitled. I was just giving you crap.:lol:
    Last edited: May 26, 2007
  8. KD7ONE

KD7ONE Rockstar 100 Posts

I believe that everybody is entitled to 1 mistake a day. Some people make their mistake by getting out of bed.
  9. TrailLeadr

Seems I make that mistake about every other day:lol:
  10. Cableguy

Is that before or after you stub your little toe on the corner of bed...