calling all audio freaks

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by tecster, Dec 8, 2011.

  1. tecster

    tecster Member

    As title states! I'm calling on the audio freaks who know their stuff when it comes to automotive audio.... I'm looking to see what I need to get for a budget system, and what type of price tag I'm looking at... I've listed my requirements below, let me know what you guys think!

    2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 REG Cab
    Requirements :

    - Double-Din Touch Screen Headunit (Alpine IVA Prefered)
    - 1 Medium Sized Sub w/ slim box (to fit behind seats)
    - Low profile amp (WITH NO HEAT) to go under driver seat
    - Replacement of all interior speakers (stock size, not looking to custom fit anything)
    - RCA/wiring suggestions

    Let me know what you folks think, looking to go with something thats economical and isn't too crazy. Looking for some good sound, a little bump, and a functional headunit (that will work with my iphone).

    Also, has anyone converted their interior lights and light switches to LEDs? Anyone with pictures, that'd be awesome!
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. kburb

    kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

  3. SurrealOne

    SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

  4. tecster

    tecster Member

    what size are my speakers and are there 4 or just the 2 door speakers?
  5. SurrealOne

    SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

    No idea on a regular cab. You should probably take off the door panels and check.
  6. redneck70

    redneck70 Rockstar

    Your door speakers are 6 1/2 and the rear pillars are 4X6, but I'm pretty sure that a 5 1/2 will also fit in the back and will sound better. I don't think you could go much bigger then that since you only have about 2.5" of depth in the back.
  7. tecster

    tecster Member

    what do i need as far as amps and wiring?
  8. redneck70

    redneck70 Rockstar

    Personally in a regular cab I would use a 5 channel amp, that way you can power your speakers and sub from one amp and it won't take up a bunch of space. If your changing your deck and want to keep your door chimes you will also need a swi-jack adapter (which also makes wiring much easier because it's plug and play, there's no cutting required). You also need to be aware that your truck doesn't come with a switched power wire so you will need to run a wire from the back of your new deck to a switched power source.
  9. tecster

    tecster Member

    see :) i dont know these things!

    So I need the following :
    - 5 Channel Amp
    - Swi-Jack Adapter
    - Powered Switch (could you explain on this?)

    Also, what am I looking at as far as wiring? If I recall correctly I need RCA's, 4g pos/neg, antenna, speaker wire....sound right? Heh.

  10. redneck70

    redneck70 Rockstar

    Your pretty much right on the money except for the antenna wire, the factory antenna wire will plug directly into the back of your aftermarket deck. A switched power wire is a wire that only has power going to it when the key is in the ON or ACC position. GM factory decks don't require this so you will have to run one. If you do a search of the forums you should come up with some alternative places to tap into and then use the one that you are most comfortable with.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos