1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

calling all computer guys

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Apr 30, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

alright! i know that we have a few guys here that are good with computers so here is my issue. the hindges broke on my laptop. it is 2 years old. At the moment i dont have the funds for a new one. so, following some online guides i drilled some holes and inserted screws to fix the hinge issue. when i did this i had to remove the keyboard. now the g,h, esc, backspace, 8 keys do not work. i searched around online and attempted every repair that i could find. i was concerned that it was a programming issue, but from what i read if it is a programming issue then the same keys will not function when a usb keyboard is plugged in. is this correct? should i just replace the keyboard and hope it works? they are only $10. any suggestions for a fix? i reset the bios settings to factory because some people said that fixed theirs. i tried taking the battery out and holding the power button for 30 seconds and then reboot. when i look at the hardware settings it shows nothing for the keyboard. same when i check the status. the laptop is an hp g72 running windows 7. thanks guys
  2. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a similar problem once. There should be a little plug that attaches the keyboard to the computer, I had mine off-center the first time I installed it, and then not in tightly the second time.
    Looks kind of like this:
    keyboard-connector.jpg
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] did the keyboard work perfectly fine before you took it apart to fix the hinges?

Like BornAgain said, double check the keyboard wiring connection. Also, do you have a USB keyboard you can plug into the laptop and check it that way?
  4. Pikey

yes, it did work fine. i fear i ma have flexed it too much when i took it out. i disconnected that connector and reinstalled it 3 or 4 times. i am using a mini usb keyboard right now. it sucks. i could not access the bios or startup menu because the esc key is dead. but i was able to with the usb keyboard
  5. McClintoc

So everything works on the USB keyboard?
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Certainly wont fix your installed keyboard, but last Easter when my grandaughter allowed a chocolate easter bunny to melt on and toast my HP Laptop keyboard I bought a $15 USB connected IR keyboard.
    A year later and Ive discovered for me since I rarely take the laptop anywhere the new keyboard works great and is more comfortable to use.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I bought a kvm (or is it kmv?) switch where I have a wireless logitech mouse and keyboard combo hooked into it so regardless of what computer I'm on I use the same keyboard and mouse. Can't stand using the notebooks keyboard anymore.
  8. Pikey

yes. everything works on the usb keyboard. it is a tiny keyboard built into a small tablet case. so, it will work for now cause i am in a jamb. but, using a usb keyboard all the time will not work for me. i use this for school. desk space is limited as it is in many of my classes or places that i meet project groups at.
  9. McClintoc

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] Check ebay for your model laptop and just its keyboard. I know people that have replaced just the screens of their laptops by finding it on ebay.
  10. Pikey

I found one on amazon for $14 with prime shipping. I replaced the screen about a year ago after my 5 year old threw a dog bone at me and cracked it. cost me $90. i think that i have been down every avenue i can as far as trouble shooting this thing. after the posts about the connecter i pulled it apart again and had it running while i played with the connecter. i never got any of the non working buttons to function. hopefully the keyboard fixes it. typing on this little thing is terrible. thanks for all of your help