Calling all HAMs

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by vedearduff, Dec 14, 2012.

1. vedearduff

vedearduff New Member

Hello from Indiana.

I'm working on my Techicians license and plan on installing a dual band mobile unit in my Silverado. Can any of you offer any advice with regard to installation issues.

I am leaning towards the Kenwood TM-V71a for the radio and have not yet decided on the antena.

I'm considering mounting the main part of the radio under the passenger seat and the faceplate on the dash. I want the best signal I can get, so I plan on drilling a hole in the cab roof for the antena mount.

Thanks

Vernon
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Hi vernon. I mounted my RF deck under the passenger's seat and the face plate in the dash where the CD player would be if it had one. I used a custom made Cat5 cable to attach the head and RF deck together.

2012-10-03_14-39-16_815.jpg 2012-10-03_14-40-33_33.jpg

Good luck on the test. Check out aa9pw.com to take practice tests.

73!
    de N4KCN
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey New Member

Cool dash set up with the mic and all.....Brian

- - - Updated - - -

people at work call me a HAM all the time.
    Sorry, Vernon I couldn't resist replying
  4. steved

steved Former Member

What cab? The crew cabs are really easy to drill and install and antenna...
  5. vedearduff

vedearduff New Member

My Silverado has an extended cab. I have a 1999 Z71 with extended cab and LT trim package, short bed.
  6. steved

steved Former Member

If the headliner has a center-mounted courtesy light, you can pop that out, drill the hole, and snake the wiring around...I was able to install a Wilson 5000 in under 30 minutes using that method.
  7. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

I mounted mine to the tool box... I wasn't crazy about drilling a hole in the roof. I have done it to many vehicles in the past... I just couldn't push myself into doing it to a roof that has survived more than 17 years without incident. Make sure to install an antenna with an NMO mount if you DO drill a hole. Those are the least likely to leak with double o-ring seals.

Besides... most ham antennas use the NMO mount anyway. I even have a 10 meter whip on an NMO mount. Here is my dual bander mounted on the tool box with the coax routed through the tool box so it isn't draped around the side...

2012-03-13_11-00-34_943.jpg