Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

cam help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by newcheylover, Jan 25, 2013.

1. newcheylover

newcheylover Member 1 Year

I am looking to get more power out of my 2001 Silverado 1500LS 5.3L 4x4. A buddy of mine said to put in a better cam. I honestly don’t knowa thing about cam shafts other than what they do. First off I would like toknow what a good brand to get is and what to switch with the degrees of the lobes.I don’t want to go crazy because I would like to have descent gas mileage but Iwould like to be able to have fun now and then. Second of all I would like toknow how hard it would be to install it and what not.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

100_0389.jpg
    I am running a Lunati Voodoo Cam specs are posted in the picture attached at the top of this post. This is in a 2000 LS1 5.7 engine. I bought all parts from Lunati, 7.400 chromemoly pushrods, double springs, roller lifters, scorpion roller rockers 1.7 ratio. Titanium retainers, viton valve stem seals, Lunati double roller timing chain.

This is my daily driver, the last number in the cam specs is the lope of the cam. Mine at idle is very choppy and i like it, If you want a smoother quieter idle go with a 115-117 LSA. I have not had mine dynoed yet, so I can't say about HP yet. LS cam swaps normally gain about 35-50 hp easily.

I should also mention, you will need new head gaskets, head bolts, and zinc additive for cam break in. I am not an expert at all, this is just my recent experience is all.
  3. newcheylover

Thats Awsome but is there any way I could put in a different cam without replacing all the internals?
  4. TRPLXL2

Well yes you can always take short cuts, but when it wipes the cam out or worse your going to end up rebuilding or replacing the motor. One major thing is the rockers, everyone that keeps the stock rockers usually does the trunion upgrade on them. Basically if you don't at high revving 5,000rpms +, the rockers will actually spill needles bearings down into the engine and will cause major damage. The stock springs are way too weak as well, at minimum you should at least use a set of LS2 beehive springs. I have never seen anyone just swap a cam in a stock engine, without doing other things as well.

Now If I wanted to go to a different cam I could just swap, because I have already done all the other upgrades. If I went with a very agressive cam, then I would have to get new pushrods with a different length anyways plus a retune.
  5. newcheylover

O alright if you dont mind me asking how much was it roughly to change everything?
  6. TRPLXL2

I had just over $3,000 in the cam swap, and all related components. Gaskets, seals, fluids, etc. I would say a good range is $1,500-$2,500 If you do it all yourself. Plus you will be pulling the radiator and other items up front, which I didn't do because the engine was out of the truck. You always have to take into account things that WILL break in disassembly, connectors, hoses, plastic clips and so on. You wouldn't need the roller rockers or MLS head gaskets, that was something I wanted to do by choice.

I also forgot the knock sensors, you will have to put LS2 knock sensors in with the cam swap. This was brought to my attention when doing mine, It has to do with the tuning. You will have to have it tuned afterwards also, $250.00-$400 depending on who you go with.
  7. newcheylover

Alright would a deablo tuner work or do I need to take it to a shop
  8. TRPLXL2

I didn't take mine to a shop.........yet. I got a mail order tune through Frost, he specializes in LS engines. I just sent the ECM to him in PA, and I got it back in about 3 days. It is very close but not perfect, that's why I am going to have a dyno tune done in the spring.

I would not think that the Diablo tune could tune for internal parts, but I could be wrong. I believe there is a vendor on here from Diablosport, he would be the one to ask that question.
  9. newcheylover

Would you happen to know his name?
  10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Diablew is his name on here I believe. You can get the diablo tuner and then get a custom tune made for it that's what I'll be doing when I can stop throwing money into other vehicles