1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cam, springs, rocker arms.... suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by okysmokey911, Feb 15, 2011.

1. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey everyone, I am getting ready to do some top end upgrades to the engine so I was wondering if yall had any suggestions. I already have the Holley 502-9 Throttle body and the Edelbrock 3702 cam. About to put in the holley 300-66 intake. Im wondering if yall could give me some suggestions on upgrades to the rocker arms and springs.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

If $$ is not an issue, I would jump on a set of 1.6 ratio roller rockers to get a little more out of your cam, (if your valve to piston clearance is sufficient to handle them) & go with Edelbrocks suggestion for the springs to match their 3702 cam that you already put in (although if your current springs weren't satisfarctory for this cam Edelbrock would have told you when you bought it).
  3. okysmokey911

Yeah money is not really an issue. Thanks for the suggestion. How would I know if the valve to piston clearance will be satisfactory?? I bought the cam from summit so im not really sure if the stock springs work well with this cam. I did look on the Edelbrock website and saw some springs that they suggest with this cam so I guess Ill go with those. What is the stud size on the stock tbi heads? 3/8 in?
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

** You would have to check the piston to valve clearance. I checked mine with clay but I was puting new heads at the same time as I was doing tha cam swap so it was easy.
    There is a way you can check clearance with the heads on, but it's labor intensive & risky, unless you have a good understanding of what you're doing.

** I would agree that if Edelbrock recommends stronger springs for that cam, that you should use them. However the TBI heads use pressed in rocker studs & stronger springs can cause them to eventually pull out. Ask Edelbrock if they recommend drilling & pinning your studs, or replacing them with the screw in studs, when using those springs, & your cam.

** I measured an old set of TBI heads just to be sure & yes the rocker studs are 3/8" dia.
  5. okysmokey911

Thank you for the help. One more question. I am eventually going to replace the heads. Got any suggestions for a good set of heads?
  6. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Stick with it Edelbrock!!