1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

camber/caster adjustment bolt replacement on 85 sierra

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by a.graham52, Mar 7, 2011.

1. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

has anyone done these before? i need to replace the two bolts that pinch the shims between the frame and upper control arm. mine have loosened up on me twice and this time i cant tighten them anymore with out feeling like they are stripping. can definitely hear a clunk coming from that corner so i know they are loose. any help would be great.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yes, they are pretty easy, just do one at a time & retain the shims in the proper place so your alignment doesn't change.
  3. a.graham52

can you give me a little better detail on how to do them? im going to have to get new shims, i know iv lost some. i can do the alignment myself so thats no biggy.
  4. stephan

Can't think of much more to tell you. It's pretty simple. I would replace the loose one first so the tight one will hold the bar from moving. If you're not buying the GM bolts, then be sure & buy grade 8 hardened bolts so they don't strip again. Also if not buying the GM bolts, then make sure you get them long enough, because I've seen as much as 5/8" worth of shims in there to give them enough positive camber. Measure the total amount of shims you have left, & take a guess at how many fell out & buy extras for them.
  5. a.graham52

i looked under today and i actually have studs. wtf?
  6. stephan

lol, that makes it a little more difficult but still doable. If you can't get a good swing with the hammer to drive them out, try a long drift, or a steel rod. Do they use salt on the roads in Maine? If there's a lot of rust, spray them with some WD-40 for a couple days & it might go easier.