camber/caster adjustment bolt replacement on 85 sierra

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by a.graham52, Mar 7, 2011.

1. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

has anyone done these before? i need to replace the two bolts that pinch the shims between the frame and upper control arm. mine have loosened up on me twice and this time i cant tighten them anymore with out feeling like they are stripping. can definitely hear a clunk coming from that corner so i know they are loose. any help would be great.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yes, they are pretty easy, just do one at a time & retain the shims in the proper place so your alignment doesn't change.

3. a.graham52

can you give me a little better detail on how to do them? im going to have to get new shims, i know iv lost some. i can do the alignment myself so thats no biggy.

4. stephan

Can't think of much more to tell you. It's pretty simple. I would replace the loose one first so the tight one will hold the bar from moving. If you're not buying the GM bolts, then be sure & buy grade 8 hardened bolts so they don't strip again. Also if not buying the GM bolts, then make sure you get them long enough, because I've seen as much as 5/8" worth of shims in there to give them enough positive camber. Measure the total amount of shims you have left, & take a guess at how many fell out & buy extras for them.

5. a.graham52

i looked under today and i actually have studs. wtf?

6. stephan

lol, that makes it a little more difficult but still doable. If you can't get a good swing with the hammer to drive them out, try a long drift, or a steel rod. Do they use salt on the roads in Maine? If there's a lot of rust, spray them with some WD-40 for a couple days & it might go easier.