1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Cams

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by sierra11, Sep 1, 2012.

1. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Haha okay so one of my friends has been looking at cams for his truck and it had me kind of curious what one would do on mine. I have looked alittle into it like at some that people like for the 6.0L but my main question would be how much is it to install and besides the camshaft what will I need to do to my truck?

2. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A good combo is cam headers stall converter and tune. Also new springs

3. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

oh okay yeah I have the blackbear tune and headers in the budget but this is kind of a long shot maybe in a couple years. I think those two will help enough I just can't decide whether to do the data logging tune or the traditional one. I'm not sure if its that much of a difference.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  4. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If your truck has AFM or VVT, your options are much more limited; or you can do the AFM/VVT-delete to drop the AFM/VVT hardware, which is much more expensive than a simple cam swap on a non-AFM/VVT engine.

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They make a lot more cams these days that are for our trucks but with a tune turn off afm

6. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I've seen AFM hardware delete kits, but they are a lot more expensive than just a cam. I haven't seen any cams with tunes to just turn off AFM. Are they just the stock LS1 cam grind with turning the AFM off. You can't really bump the lift up any from stock on the AFM cylinders. Max lift for the AFM hardware is about 0.525. Beyond that you greatly increase the chances of damaging the engine. I was searching for some cams targetted for AFM recently and basically found nothing but AFM hardware delete kits.