1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can a bad ECM cause a blown engine?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by dannymontani, Aug 1, 2014.

1. dannymontani

dannymontani New Member

I know this may have a thread already, so I'm sorry if I couldn't find it. Dumb question? I.... think so. I have a 93 k2500 with a blow motor. I know that. Was a very bad smoker coming down off the mountain with a full load of firewood. Many trips, good girl! 300 thou on that motor. Mechanic has told me that the ECM caused the problem. Now I have just received this info a few hours ago via a phone call. So I could not verify with a Chev dealer. C'mon, is this really possible? Not that I can imaging so. Been wrenching for 30 yrs and it sound as bull**** to me. I found used chips on ebay for around $70 bucks. He said he has put one in from Chevy at $400. aak. hhmmm. For the total price, with a 90,000mi matching 93 motor, water pump and the usual 'should do's' I'm in for $1800. Now in one sense ok. Get my truck back in fine running shape, she's in quite good condition body and interior wise so it's probably ok to me. Sorry for the run on, just really want to know about the ECM ya know. I would think it impossible for this situation. By the way, this mechanic does some cherry work on full build ups. Appreciate the info guys.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I would be very surprised if this guy has the smarts to find and to change a bad chip on a ECM board. Before I'd pay him, I'd have to see the test procedure and the test results and the defective chip. I do not think GM would sell a chip, a board yes, a chip no. Ask to see the invoice and the part number.

Could it blow the motor? Maybe, if the timing was off, etc.
  3. dannymontani

dannymontani New Member

Thank Ray. I doubt it very much if he can test the chip. Yes. I will ask about why he had to put in a new ECM but I still wonder why Chevy would not have a backup to this problem. What if I were on a freeway or, as I was, in the wayback up in the woods. I'd, we'ed all be quite f**ed up, eh. As for timing, well I 've kept this outfit up myself for the past 13 years as well as my others. I can't believe I screwed up the timing. Never know though at the 300 mark. I've heard of 350k miles before. Kept me up all night cogitating damn it.
  4. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I'm going to step in here, Look, you got 300K on the old power plant, it don't get any better than this. And NO, the ECM , the board or anything else done by Chevy would never cause an engine to terminate it already long life. I don't know your driving style, if I was you, go to GMPP and or rebuilt or new, ("10067353 - New Chevy 350 CID, 5.7L , V8 - Universal Crate Engine" $1595.95 but I'd look around, you can snag a long block for like $16-$1800.00. I hope I'm not out of bounds here.
  5. dannymontani

dannymontani New Member

JT, you're not off base. Thanks for the backup re the ECM. Figured as much. I know 300k was high mileage...not...a problem to replace, as I said I have the engine and it is installed. I'm going to have a very long relationship with this truck, as we go forwards. I pick it up tonight.
  6. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I've got 112.469 miles on my 1990 305 Silverado and runs it so silent sometimes your tempted to see if it stalled. I hope I can get to you mileage. Good Luck,