1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can anybody tell me whats causing this noise?(video inside)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by blitz28179, Oct 27, 2013.

1. blitz28179

blitz28179 New Member

Ive been getting this noise for over a year now.Its worst on a cold morning and often goes away as the motor gets warm.In the summer its not that bad but in the winter it is louder and last longer.Ive changed the alternator, idler pully and a new belt and still havent figured it out..Figured some of you could point me in the right direction.Thanks in advance!!

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

One of the pulley's has a bad bearing.. I think...
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yep sounds a lot like a bad bearing on either the stationary pully or the tensioner.
    Shoot a little liquid tephlon on their bearings one at a time, when the noise goes away youll know ya got the right one. Lube wont solve the problem, only make the noise disappear for a little while.
    You could also use a stethascope to pinpoint the noise.
  4. Jeff Dodson

Jeff Dodson Member

May be far reaching, but have you changed the spark plugs... Kind sounds as if one is losing compression, ie... Loose, or leaking around the ceramic ???? My reasoning it sounds a bit like a cam lope. ( not lobe, LOPE )
  5. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

what vehicle / engine is this ?

sounds like a valve issue clanking sound.

I would use a rubber hose to probe for the sound location. stick one end in your ear the other probe the engine for source.
  6. redchev4x4

redchev4x4 New Member

if its been going on over a year i don't know if a valve train issue should have left you stranded by now.
    i would look into the power steering pump bearing or A/C clutch bearing ,, possible water pump
    but they usually leak ,, but don't don't have to leak to have bad bearing,,,
    in order i would go

a
    A/C clutch bearing

power steeing bearing

water pump
    take your belt off and roll each one by hand with a home made stethoscope
    of an old screw driver blade with a rubber hose slid over it and see what you hear from
    each one of them.
    (you will have to put power to the A/C unit to unlock the clutch) i think.

sorry jcat ,, just saw your post on the rubber tube for listening.....

terry m
  7. j cat

I learned about the hose trick years ago . much easier on the ear. hose works just like a scope.
  8. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I'm going with the bearing on the idler pulley.
  9. blitz28179

blitz28179 New Member

Like I said Idler pully is brand new.So that knocks that theory out the door

Terry, I am glad you mentioned a/c clutch because it refreshed my memory of when the noise first started a year ago.It was barley noticeable a year ago but it made a 1 second noise when the a/c kicked in when I ran my air conditioner.I am guessing its A/C clutch bearing for sure now.What you think?Is the A/C clutch bearing tough to change??
  10. j cat

if the AC compressor bearing is bad you will require a new compressor.

do the noise location troubleshooting to find the location of the sound.