Can anyone recommend a good Voltmeter for home/auto electrical testing use?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by ChevyFan, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've been throwing breakers in my home office (which you can see the updated pics in the phone gallery later this week I'll upload them) ... so I did some research and I found this video below posted on YouTube by this pretty down-to-earth Yankee who's talking about a certain type of voltage/amp meter with an induction type of reader at the top of the tester. Looks like it works pretty well ... I guess you can tell I'm no electrician, never have seen one of these before.

Anyhow, I'm 90% certain that the breaker is getting thrown by a bad battery backup (which is like 5 years old now) and it's turning on and trying to draw. It's got a MAX of 22 volts output, so I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the issues, but I still want to test it all out. The circuit is a 15 amp bedroom circuit that I have turned into a home office and I'm starting to think that I should maybe wire this room on it's own circuit just so I can not have issues like the power going out, like it did this morning when the circuit breaker tripped.

My last electrical meter got lost somehow, so I need this to be a good all-purpose unit for automotive, rv, trailer and household use.

2. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

Steve, 'Fluke' is one of the best. My old 'amp clamp' is an 'Amprobe" that is 15 + years old and kind of an antique - old tec. clamp, but it still works fine. There are several multifunction meters out there now with the amp clamp built in. ( Northern Tool even listed a multifunction amp clamp, volt meter, ohm meter - Amprobe label) I'm not an electrician, but I have an electrical contractor in the family, he uses 'Fluke" meters. They are about as good as it gets if you want to spend the money. Ken

3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Definitely go Fluke if you can afford it. I have a Fluke 179 that is my really nice meter. I also have a Chinese meter that's sold under a ton of brands that I use in day-to-day use since it's good enough and there's no huge loss if it dies or gets lost. This is it, or one of it's rebranded brothers: link. I'm sure it can be obtained cheaper than that.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION], I can not argue with the guys, Fluke is a good meter, I've used many of them; but they were always ones that someone else (phone company) paid for.

For my personal use, I have one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Digital-Clamp-Meter-MS2002/202353289 it get's the job done without breaking the bank.

To solve your problem, a split 20amp (as you might find on the kitchen cabinet) duplex will probably provide all of the current you will need to run the office equipment. Just have it run into the room you are using for an office.

6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Fluke is definitely the industry standard in my line of work, but a bit of overkill for something to use around the house. I bought myself a 789 Processmeter, but have found that even their cheaper meters are phenomenal.