1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Can anyone recommend some good tires?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by junior2005, May 14, 2005.

1. junior2005

junior2005 New Member

It's been about 4 years since I've had to purchase tires for my 1990 Suburban. It seems to me that tire prices are MUCH more expensive than they used to be.

I am looking for a good set that are rated for the SUV and that are good for towing a large trailer.

Anyone have any suggestions for what I might be looking for?

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What do you have on there now? There are several good highway tires that are good for towing. I think you are correct, they have doubled in price over the past 10 years or so.

3. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

yeah, tires seem to be much more expensive than they were 3 or 4 years ago. Of course, you can always find some walmart cheapies, but good tires seem to be setting you back like $750+ for a large SUV.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

well i have 245/75/16 michelin cross terrain suv tires on my truck..and let me say , theyre really nice. and rides great! i prefer michelins :D

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Myself. I have had good luck with BFGoodrich's, but I mostly look for a good tire that's on sale! I wait around for a clearance sale or something like that, and I'll even drive for a few dozen miles to save $50 or so.

Anyone else with me on this? :)

6. Dieselburb

Dieselburb New Member

The tires that were on my truck when I adopted it were General Tire Grabber TR 235/85R16 E, although they have a M+S rating I had to use 4HI to reverse out of parking stall with only an inch of snow on the ground(extremely embarassing). The tires still had 80% tread. I had originaly planned to wait until they were down to 60%, but that incident quickly changed that.
    I have usually gone with Bridgestone Duellers but this time I was comparing the Bridgestone Revos and the BFGoodrich All Terain T/A KOs. After a long process of research/road testing/asking other drivers for input I settled on the BFGs.
    The BFGs have more road noise(noise for me is not an issue,I love my diesel!), The Revos are probably better on the highway for MPG, with the BFGs I still average 26mpg hwy/16mpg city. Off road traction with the BFGs is awsome,heavy rain/snow/mud no problems what so ever. The BFGs are also severe snow rated, one of only a handful to get this rating.
    My truck has a 13500 GCVW rating and when I have had it loaded the BFGs have proven their capabilities. So far with 8000 miles they have shown no wear.
    The only other tire I would consider and/or recommend would be the Michelin LTX M/S if the majority of your driving is highway, (smoother and quieter).
    Just my two cents

1 person likes this.
  7. ChevyFan

Generals huh. My wife has those on her little Chevy Caviliar and they're find tire for that. We don't get a lot of snow down here in the Dallas / Fort Worth area but I grew up in the Northwest and growing up we always has goodyear tires on my dad's old suburban, rated for severe snow with studs in them in the winter so we could go up camping and hunting in northern Washington state.

How do you get 26MPG freeway with a rig that is 13500 GCVW?

8. Dieselburb

Dieselburb New Member

Steve, With the 6.2l Diesel, 235/85R16E @ 80psi, and not exceeding 65mph my truck cruises at a sweet spot of decent power and economy. If I drive any faster (70-75mph or more) I see a drop in milage. My last road trip with a trailer weight of 7000lb from Edmonton Alberta to Vancouver British Columbia I averaged 23MPG. The B.C. interior is much the same as northern Washington state(lots of mountains/13% grades), with the TH400 and 4.10 gears the Suburban, although it's not a speed demon, it pulls steady like no tomrrow. With the 700R4, 3.73 gears and dedicated highway tires fuel economy would have a potential increase to 28-30MPG unloaded. Obviously there are a lot of variables involved(weight/weather/road condition/LEAD FOOT syndrome,etc), so on longer trips I watch everything within reason(such as tire inflation, as every 10psi underinflated reduces economy by 1% and increases tire wear and effects handling negatively. Which at the end of the year can add up$$$).
    Still when driving around town I can't always help it when gravity takes control of my right foot.:)

9. ChevyFan

Yeah, I think I was born with a heavy right foot myself. I've spent a little bit of time up in BC and Alberta. My grandparents built and ran an RV resort in Northern Idaho called Beyond Hope Resort. It was just on the other side of Hope, Idaho...hence "Beyond Hope." Anyhow, it's some really pretty country up there. I wish there was some better industry up there, I would be tempted to try to find work up there.

10. Dieselburb

Dieselburb New Member

The countryside up here sure is a blessing, just too bad the tax rate here is such a sin. If I had it my way I'd be living south of the border where you're allowed to make money and actually keep some of it. All I have to do is go for a cruise in the Suburban and all is happy again. :lol: