1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can I clear 35's without a body lift?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by brownboyz71, Feb 26, 2011.

1. brownboyz71

brownboyz71 New Member

Anyone have a big lift/tire combo? I'm running about 9.5" of lift and 37's, and am seriously considering removing the body lift and going down to a 35" tire. I have 4.56 gears, so here are my questions.

1. Will I end up with too much gear for the tire size? My real concern is cruising RPMs. I'd like to turn at about 2,000RPM at 65mph.

2. Any recommendations for a good A/T tire in a 35x12.50.

3. This is probably the most important question. Will a 1998 Silverado clear a 35" tire on just a 6.5" suspension lift? I really don't want to do any trimming.
  2. o3gerber

o3gerber New Member

you will deffitanly clear the 35s unless you have a huge negitive offset, i have a coulpe friends with mid 90s chevys with 6in lifts and 35s. they all kept stock gears as well but im not sure what their cruzing rpm was tho
  3. brownboyz71

brownboyz71 New Member

huge negative offset meaning what? The wheel I'm looking is

• Back Space = 4.53
    • Offset = -12
  4. 383man

383man New Member ROTM Winner

Theres no way your gonna be able to have a 2000 rpm cruising at 65 with 4.56 gears, way too low for that, great for towing though. I have a 6 inch lift with 35x13r18 nitto terra grapplers and they ride perfect, and have 3.73 gears, but cruise higher than 2k @ 65, definately sacrifices fuel mileage. oh well, if i wanted to conserve fuel i would have bought a ca lol
  5. o3gerber

o3gerber New Member

you should be fine, i was talkin if your tires stick out real far
  6. brownboyz71

brownboyz71 New Member

lol True. I really don't care about mpg's. It's my spare vehicle and mostly a toy. Any idea what I'm likely to be turning at 65?
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have 4.56's with 35's on my '96 Suburban and turn about 3,000 rpms at 65mph.

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

I forgot, I have 16X10 M/T Alcoa wheels with BFG's A/T's. Had to trim the front bumper just a little, most people can't tell the bumper was trimmed.
  8. brownboyz71

brownboyz71 New Member

right on. Thanks for the info. I'll be running a 16x9 wheel so hopefully I won't be doing any trimming. I hadn't considered the added towing ability, but it's a pleasant realization. I'll be sure to post pics when I get the new tires and wheels on it.
  9. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I believe you could run a 35 but like they have said the back spacing really doesn't need to exceed like a 18x9 if that's what your wanting to go with and a offset can throw it off also. I believe they will fit but they might rub very little while turning.