1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can I do this?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by zeebrugge, Feb 21, 2012.

1. zeebrugge

zeebrugge New Member

OK, this is my first post, so be gentle with me. I've searched the forum (with my limited computer skills) and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have a 1995 Chevy 1500 4wd with a 4.3l Vortec engine. Due to some recent, ah, troubles, I'm going to have to replace the engine. I would like to replace it with a small V8 - maybe a 3.8 V8 or whatever is best fit. I tow a 19 ft boat and need a bit more hp - something that won't be terribly bad on gas. Near as I can tell, all Chevy V6 and V8 engines use the same block-to-bell housing bolt pattern pattern. Not sure about the motor mounts, starter or water pump. The exhaust manifolds would need to be replaced, of course. Anyone who could advise me about this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Hey [MENTION=53668]zeebrugge[/MENTION] Welcome to the site! I've had no experience in engine swaps but there is a lot of experience here...
    Welcome and enjoy!

:great:
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I haven't done an engine swap either. But I would like to give a bit of advice on your swap. If you are towing with your truck I would say step up in engine size not down. If gas mileage while towing is what you are worried about I think you would come out ahead with say a 5.3. I don't think the difference in mpg with out a load is that large to give up the HP while towing. I may be wrong with my assumptions but that is my .02. Good luck with whatever you choose and keeps us informed on your which route you go.
  4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I may be a little off base with this, but here goes, Im sure others may correct me.
    Going from the 4.3V6 to a 5.0V8 or 5.7V8 or other is going to involve more than just the engine block, radiator and manifolds.
    I would think that you are also going to need the matching wire harness, sensors, and assorted computer control modules and accessories for the engine you are installing.
    I can't speak to exactly what the '95's have for electronics on them, but I would think that a V8 would be different than a V6 in that aspect.
  5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

If you go from a 4.3 to a 5.7, you'll need new manifolds, obviously, and a new distributor. You'll also need to change your fuel injectors. The throttle body is the same, as is the fuel pump. The radiator may or may not be the same. You'll need to measure it and compare it against the listed one for a 5.7L.
    It shouldn't be too awfully hard to do it, though. Both engines use the same sensors and wiring harnesses. You're lucky. A 1996+ model would be much harder.
  6. cedicol

cedicol Member

Hey ther Zeebrugge. Your from Belgium it has to be. Me to so welcom to the club. To swap the engine i think you are lucky (look post above me). To do it yourself will not be so eassy if you dont have any experians with working on a car. Still i wish you good luck with it.
    You have PM.
  7. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I havent ever done an engine swap in the trucks (yet), but i've done several swaps into different imports. Usually the best bet is to purchase a complete assembly pulled straight from another vehicle. Find one that comes with ECU, harnesses, sensors, accessories (pulleys, compressor, alternator, p/s pump, etc.) and you will be set. As far as transmission mounting goes.. i'm not sure if there are different parts utilized from v6 to v8, but i'd be careful and maybe ask some more questions around the subject that maybe the driveline isn't built to accommodate the higher power/torque of the v8?
  8. zeebrugge

zeebrugge New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I make a slight error in the original post. I wouldn't go with a smaller engine - just one of the same year as my truck in order to minimize any swap over difficulties. A 5.7 looks like the engine to go with, I guess. I wasn't thinking about the ECM, so that helps alot. What I had in mind is either a complete engine from the junk yard as 08_rado_rocker suggested. I'm thinking that the only way to really get this right is to have both service manuals for a 4.3l and a 5.7l vehicle (or at the the 5.7) and just make the truck into a 5.7l version.
  9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ahh 240s love em easiest car on earth to do a motor swap I used to drift a 89 240 had single turbo sr20. Loved that car till I wrecked it
  10. Senshi09

Senshi09 New Member

If your looking for power, try to find a totaled caprice with a ls1 in it. Take everything - Motor, wiring harmess, computer and since it would be scrapped it wouldn't be terribly expensive. You might even get a decent deal on it. It should drop right in, should being the key word. Swap out the manifolds for some headers and you will need new motor mounts as well. That should give you the power you want, plus great mpg. It is NOT easy to do and will take you more then a weekend if you're doing it by yourself.

When in doubt, search google for 4.3 to v8/ls1 swap