Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can I drop a 327 small block from a 65 vette into a 3rd or 4th gen C/K?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by wpstarling, Oct 10, 2012.

1. wpstarling

wpstarling New Member

I have a 327 small block that came out of my father's 65 vette that needs a rebuild and I've been wanting to get a c/k truck so I was wondering if I could drop the 327 in with minimal issues or if it was going to be something that will cost a fortune and isn't worth it. The motor mostly has sentimental value to me so I'd like to use it but I don't know a lot about small block chevy's other than they've been around awhile and people love them.

So will this fit or will it be a huge pain in the ass? I don't have the truck but like the 3rd and 4th gens so if those won't work I can look into something else.

Thanks,
    Bill
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Chevy would like us to think the same V8 has been around for 57 years, but a lot has changed over that time.

The 327 can be used in a newer truck, but very little will fit it. It will have a carb, will not require the ECM, the fuel pump pressure will/may be too high, bell housing (to attach a transmission) will be different. Starter will be different, motor mounts, the list goes on.

You can make it fit, but you'll have to work at it.
  3. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The 327 has the same motor mount and bell housing bolt patterns as later Gen 1 blocks,up to 1998,so it will physically bolt right in place. The factory fuel injection can be made to work with the 327, but you will be spending alot of money and giving up some power. If you are gonna go with a carb I'd recommend a 1992 or older truck. The 93 and newer trucks use a computer controlled tranny, and you will have to get a stand alone controller for it. The older trucks aren't computer controlled so are easier to adapt to carbed engines. There are other small things such as using the correct pressure plate for the 2 piece rear seal and using a fuel pressure regulator so you can keep the factory pump. The swapis diffently doable, but will require research and time to get everything to work.
  4. wpstarling

wpstarling New Member

If I got a truck newer than 92 couldn't I just get a tranny from an older truck that isn't controlled by the computer?