1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can I improve mpg?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by cleandawg, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cleandawg

cleandawg New Member

Hi Joe here from Rogers Arkansas. Ihave a 1993 GMC 1500 Sierra SLE Custom Cab 5.7L 4X4.

I have done the normal tune-up stuff, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, androtor and still only get about 15 miles to the gallon.

I was told if I put a spacer underthe throttle body carburetor and a different chip in computer board it wouldimprove mileage. Is there anything tothis or am I stuck with 15 mpg? If it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about I really don't, I am repeating what I thought I heard.

Thanks for any help.
    Joe

2. kbunc11

kbunc11 New Member

Air filter and fuel filter may help, also try some sort of injector cleaner. I use Lucas and Seafoam
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

An efficient running engine and low rolling resistance are the two biggest improvements.

The rolling resistance is easy:
    - increase the tire pressure a little above door label (keep an eye on wear, if the center of tires starts to wear, you have too much air)
    - check for brakes dragging on a rotor,
    - make sure the alignment is good.

Engine:
    - new plugs
    - new O2 sensors,
    - clean the throttle body,
    - switch to synthetic oil,
    - plus the items in post #2 (although I don't think you have injectors).
  4. gmmechanic

gmmechanic New Member

fuel injector cleaner works well i use Lucas i would also look at maybe a cold air intake would help
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

6. gmmechanic

gmmechanic New Member

i dont think you have injectors but they make carb cleaner works the same way just poor it in the tank and your good to go
  7. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

I'm impressed that you are actually getting 15 mpg. i have an 07 4.3 v6 and get about 16....
  8. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Great Answer! You hit all the things I was thinking about too!! How about a CAI or programmer?? that would work too...

Good Luck with the project...
  9. 4x4squared

4x4squared Member 2 Years 100 Posts

GM dropped the carb and started puting throttle bodies in the 350s in 1987. TBI's do have injectors that do need to stay clean. id say just change the fuel and air filters, like said previously, and run some seafoam through it and see where that gets you. the majority of the people ive spoken to that have put spacers on the TBIs, say they really dont help all that much.... same with CAIs. im not saying they dont work but, im not sure if theyd be worth spending all that much money on.