1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can I keep/charge a small second battery with my truck battery?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cowz22, Aug 24, 2011.

1. cowz22

cowz22 New Member

I have a small fishing boat and was recently given an electric trolling motor to use with it.

Is it possible to keep the small trolling motor battery in the second battery place under the hood so it will stay charged until I pull it out whenever I go fishing?

If this is possible, how would I go about connecting this second battery so that it does get charged properly and not overcharged?

Any other info related to this that someone else has experienced that may help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this is not the smartest question, I'm new to battery powered trolling motors. :)
    Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. kevindsingleton

kevindsingleton Rockstar

3. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

Trolling motor batteries should be bigger in size than your tray. If not, and you use the isolator, it may be an effective way to charge while you are driving. A 115 volt powered battery charger sounds a lot cheaper and safer, though. Lifting a battery over the fender and (safely) bolting it down will get old fast.
  4. kcb37

kcb37 Member

I would agree. Get a charger.
    Even to add it in, without a isolater it will kill the weaker battery.
    There is not a "spot" for it. However there kinda is, depended on what options the truck came with. It can be added factory, or custom aftermarket.
    All the work to go in and out of the truck it's not worth it even a cheaper $30 dollar charger from Wal-Mart is a better option.
    Would allow you to charge your truck battery every once and again giving it longer life.
    If and when you look for a charger get one that will desulfate the battery. As the battery loses power (from being used) it will build "sulfate" (can't remeber for sure) on the plates in the battery. Thus it will not fully charge, will not last as long, and will shorten the life of the battery. A desulfating charger will help to break this down, keeping your battery at a full charge, and give it longer life.
    Once a month is great for battery charging.