1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can I replace my 4.8 with a 6.0, 5.3?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by CHEVELLEBOY, Jan 25, 2010.

1. CHEVELLEBOY

CHEVELLEBOY New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado with the 4.8 and was wondering if it is possible to put a 6.0 in its place with little or no modifications. I would also be willing to put in a 5.3, but either way the motor will be hopped up on goofballs. If I am going to do it, it needs to be for some serious power gains. Thanks for any info you might have on this.

Alex
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

just google 4.8 swap. There is alot you can do with staying with the 4.8, they take a supercharger very well. There is also some very good head and intake swaps that can be done. Just out of curiosity do you have a budget?
  3. wpnsgy

wpnsgy New Member

6.0 or 5.3 possible not sure why you would want the 6.0 havent heard many good reviews of this motor Poor fuel mileage troubles with cam bearings , oil pumps the 5.3 is better in my opinion
  4. CHEVELLEBOY

CHEVELLEBOY New Member

Thanks guys. I guess I would have to say my budget would be around as cheap as humanly possible since my wife hates when I do stuff to my truck. She doesn't quite understand the need for MORE!

I have nothing against keeping the 4.8, I just figured more cubes, more power. I also hadn't heard the poor reviews of the 6.0. I have little to no experience working with the newer motors. I can rebuild a 70's style small block in my sleep, but I am clueless with the new technology. I will definitely do some searching on the 4.8 swap on google.

Thanks for all the advice.

Alex
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

6. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member 100 Posts

your going to need the wiring harness, ecm, possibly bcm, allison trans ect. swapping motors is the easy part, getting all the computers to talk to eather will be a whole nother story
  7. greenbastard

greenbastard New Member

stick with the 4.8L and pimp er out or trade for a truck with 5.3 a save yourself the hassle but dont go to a 6.0L unless you dont mind spending money on gas
  8. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

6.0L for the win ;) Seriously though, adding a blower to your 4.8 will wake it up tons man!!
  9. CHEVELLEBOY

CHEVELLEBOY New Member

I would love to add some kind of forced induction to it, but will the stock 4.8 hold up to that kind of stress? Also, what would be the best type of forced induction. I am not a fan of the turbo setup, but a blower or even a procharger setup would be something I would consider.

Thanks,
    Alex
  10. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member 100 Posts

The 4.8 is definitely a great engine for some power with decent mileage. There's so much you can do. Performance pullies, e-fans, CAI, custom tune, supercharger etc... Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do. And I may be PMing you for questions on a 70's 350 rebuild. I'm about to buy one for my 52' 3/4 ton pickup that I'm going to rebuild up to a 383 stroker. I'll let you know when I find one and get it set up on my engine stand.

-Greg