1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

can i swap ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mhart, Aug 7, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. mhart

mhart New Member

Hi everyone,
    After reading and reading on different sites, my question is still sort of unanswered.

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 litre extended cab 4WD with what I beleive is a 4L60e transmission. I would like to know if I could swap that transmission (which lost 3 and 4th gears) with a 2003 4L65e out of a 4WD. Will I have many complications or will it bolt up and go ?

Thanks for reading

M

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

the transmission I want to put in is also from a 5.3 litre engine.
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It should bolt right up !
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

One of the differances between the 4L60E and the 4L65E is the 65E is stonger and has a closer third gear. Other than that you should be fine.
  4. Leverlution

Leverlution New Member

I believe case size should be the same. 65e is just an updated version of a 60. I am not sure if any computer reprogramming would be necessary or not. If you want, I can call my buddy at a racing transmission shop, whos also a huge GM nut, and ask him in the morning?
  5. mhart

mhart New Member

what else might fit ?

I didn't jump on the 4L65e fast enough and it is gone, these tranny's are hard to find around here. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might bolt up to this engine ?

Thanks
  6. Leverlution

Leverlution New Member

I know its a little late, but just for future info, the 65E will bolt up NO PROBLEM and shouldn't need any computer changes. At least that's what I was told from my buddy. He same everything else is the same, but they changed the internals (sun shells etc.). Computer should still see the same inputs/outputs, just a little different inside. Bellhousing should be the same as well.
  7. mhart

mhart New Member

thanks for the info, I'll keep looking !
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How about having your 4L60E updated to a 4L65E.