1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Can I tow my 29' RV GCVWR at 9000 lbs?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rworell, Feb 3, 2011.

1. rworell

rworell New Member

Ok guys I really need your help on this one...I towed my camper last summer with an F150 XLT 5.4 V8 with 3.55 gears. It struggled...

I want toget back into a GMC truck and I love the Seirra 1500's. I just don't know which model to look at. can the 5.3 handle it? My total weight would be around 9000 Max (truck-camper-wood-passengers) I also have a brake controller and Sway/Tow bars.

What is your thoughts?? I've tried this truck out and it is AWSOME!!!! just need to hear from the experts.

Thanks
    Rich

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For a 9000 pound camper, you really need to completely skip over the 1500/half-ton trucks entirely. Start at the 2500/ 3/4 ton trucks. 9000 pounds is just a tad too heavy for a half-ton to haul safely. Pretty much any 3/4 ton should be able to handle that trailer with little issue.

3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I think he is talking about 9000 # incl the truck ??? so that would be ~ 6000 # towing.....if that is the case then i say yes..but not if like said above.

4. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

Google, trailer life towing guide, for man/model tow ratings. Make sure the truck has the towing package and not just the receiver bolted onto the back of the truck. I've had trucks with 3:73 ratios & they worked well for me. 3/4 ton trucks are better for towing and the brakes are larger. If you ever want to move up to a heavier trailer you will be able to do so without buying another truck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

GVCWR = Gross Vehicle Combination Weight Rating

First off it struggled because it was a ford :rofl:

Anyways I don't see a problem with the 5.3 pulling the trailer, but if you have the extra cash the 6.0 will defiantly handle it with ease. I would make sure you have the HD Towing Package though, not completely necessary but would be a plus.

Is this a fifth wheel or ball setup ?

6. 00Silverado5.3

00Silverado5.3 New Member

Maybe a shorter rear end will help.