Can I tow my 29' RV GCVWR at 9000 lbs?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rworell, Feb 3, 2011.

1. rworell

rworell New Member

Ok guys I really need your help on this one...I towed my camper last summer with an F150 XLT 5.4 V8 with 3.55 gears. It struggled...

I want toget back into a GMC truck and I love the Seirra 1500's. I just don't know which model to look at. can the 5.3 handle it? My total weight would be around 9000 Max (truck-camper-wood-passengers) I also have a brake controller and Sway/Tow bars.

What is your thoughts?? I've tried this truck out and it is AWSOME!!!! just need to hear from the experts.

Thanks
    Rich

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For a 9000 pound camper, you really need to completely skip over the 1500/half-ton trucks entirely. Start at the 2500/ 3/4 ton trucks. 9000 pounds is just a tad too heavy for a half-ton to haul safely. Pretty much any 3/4 ton should be able to handle that trailer with little issue.

3. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I think he is talking about 9000 # incl the truck ??? so that would be ~ 6000 # towing.....if that is the case then i say yes..but not if like said above.

4. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

Google, trailer life towing guide, for man/model tow ratings. Make sure the truck has the towing package and not just the receiver bolted onto the back of the truck. I've had trucks with 3:73 ratios & they worked well for me. 3/4 ton trucks are better for towing and the brakes are larger. If you ever want to move up to a heavier trailer you will be able to do so without buying another truck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

GVCWR = Gross Vehicle Combination Weight Rating

First off it struggled because it was a ford :rofl:

Anyways I don't see a problem with the 5.3 pulling the trailer, but if you have the extra cash the 6.0 will defiantly handle it with ease. I would make sure you have the HD Towing Package though, not completely necessary but would be a plus.

Is this a fifth wheel or ball setup ?

6. 00Silverado5.3

00Silverado5.3 New Member

Maybe a shorter rear end will help.