Can it be done(EASILY)

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jbattlesjr, Mar 14, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

I have an engine problem and a mechanic problem.

Long story short the mechanic hired to do my head gaskets screwed me over and now I am left with a disassembled 96 Suburban. He left my car abandoned and almost towed by the city. Before you all jump on my case he did several jobs for the family before this happened and the all of a sudden there was problem after problem.

I am now faced with getting another motor since I don't know what he did or didn't do. I also don't know what parts are missing. I do know the distributor and TB are gone.

My question is will an LT1 motor work without any mods. I am asking because I can get one that was just rebuilt and is ready to drop in.

I appreciate your guys help in the matter.

And yes I am looking for that mechanic. I did give him half the money for the job and it won't be pretty when I find him.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Do you have a 2500 or 1500, was this the stock 350 that was ripped apart?
  3. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the GMTruckClub! Sorry to hear of your plroblem, but I don't think there would be any problem, other than getting the PCM or computer to work on your '96.
  4. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

It was the stock 350. There are heads on the truck but I just don't know if they are the original heads or replacement heads.

The story went...cracked head...replaced head(s) then there was a burned valve on the second set...then replaced heads...that set did not match with my original intake...then the "last set of heads" were an exact match and the...POOF...no more mechanic.

So I don't know what the real story is. I do know I have missing parts so I am trying to decide weather to get antoher motor or get what I need for the block already in the truck.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

Thanks for the info. I did do some other inquiries and was told that same thing. It was more like modding the wiring harness. I assume that was for the computer.
  6. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

Not sure I want to deal with the LT1 thing. I now have another question. Will the top end of an '89 350 TBI motor go on my block? I can get this motor pretty cheap but the bottom end has a know in it. I know my block is good I just have to have the top end fixed.

I really appreciate all the help on this site. You guys are awsome:great:
  7. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member 100 Posts

It should work for what you're saying. You'd have to get something to massively drop the fuel pressure to run the TBI setup though. Vortecs run 55-65psi IIRC and a TBI motor only runs about 6-10psi if that much (basically same fuel pressure as a carbureted motor). All the time guys put Vortec heads on their old SBCs but they have to get a new intake manifold for it cause of the different bolt battern between the intake and headl. So the reverse SHOULD be possible as well. As long as it's the entire top end and you get around the fuel pressure problem you could do that. It would be a lot of work though. Just warning you.
  8. kdr358

kdr358 New Member

I would try to find a motor in the junkyard and have it re-built. a little more expensive or you could find a salvage motor out of another one I think it would be easier than trying to piece everything together.
  9. jbattlesjr

jbattlesjr New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have been trying to find the Vortec motor but they are really hard to come by in these parts. What year did the Vortec motor start and what year can I go up to? My budget is another thing. My income is the only income for the family so I am trying to do this right with the least amount of money used.
  10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow, bad situation, I understand the low funds part-too well.

This won't help, but you can buy a NEW GM GOODWRENCH MOTOR- for your Suburban for $2300 delivered to your curbside.
    Pace performance and several other online seller sell the motor for about $2150-the extra $150 is for a liftgate and to deliver it curbside to a private residence.

If you can scrape up the $$ you might consider this.Lots of time when you use junkyard parts you end up chasing your tail-put part on, find out it is no good-remove-buy another parts.

Once you start adding in the labor, you are better off just putting in a motor you KNOW IS GOOD.

This is especially true if you can't do all the work yourself. Now you will have to source a FI system, and the dist, but those parts are just the sort of parts that junkyards are made for-just bolt on, not too much work-and you know right away if they work.
    You will need gaskets etc-another $200+ coolant, oil,-put your water pump on,manifolds etc.

If you can squeeze another $2300 out of your credit card-consider a new GM motor.These motors are one of the greatest bargains you'll ever find.
    http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=184746 this is the address of Pace- it shows the fancy stroker motor I am always dreaming about.Look under product category-factory replacement engine- 5.7l

THE L31R IS JUST $1995 now-- OR ABOUT $2150 DELIVERED!! This is for the 1/2 ton vehicles-the 3/4 ton one is a little more expensive
    Luck
    Charlie

Hey
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010